Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something odd going on.

seeds are showing up in the mail from China mislabeled as a ring or other jewelry.

believe the same is happening in UK.

wonder if it is some sort of attack.

don’t plant unknown seed like that, it could have issues!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Most of us that are aware about plants and crops and such know that if there are seeds that are invasive, they can do a lot of damage.

What I read mentioned Utah being a hot spot for this. Some people think it's a review scam so those sending out the stuff can write fake reviews for products thus sell more, but it seems like this could have an awful hidden agenda behind it as of course they're not supposed to be mailing seeds.

I do hope they find out what exactly is in those packages and can confirm whether it is dangerous or not.

I know for sure if I get one, I am not opening it and contacting the DOA...coming from China it seems like some risky business. Hopefully it doesn't keep happening.

Kinda worried about the people that might be like,

"Hey, I got some mystery seeds from, China. Wanna plant 'em?"

"Yeah! Let's do it!"

smh...

·
Premium Member
19,725 Posts
Most of us that are aware about plants and crops and such know that if there are seeds that are invasive, they can do a lot of damage.

"Yeah! Let's do it!"

smh...
It’s sweet that you think most of us know about the dangers but I think “most of us“ are howling imbeciles who couldnt be tasked to pour water out of a boot even if the instructions were printed on the heel.

maybe I’m just pessimistic this morning. :cautious:

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Chinese Boy: First of all, keep him out of the light, he hates bright light, especially sunlight, it'll kill him. Second, don't give him any water, not even to drink. But the most important rule, the rule you can never forget, no matter how much he cries, no matter how much he begs, never feed him after midnight.

·
Registered
768 Posts

What I read mentioned Utah being a hot spot for this. Some people think it's a review scam so those sending out the stuff can write fake reviews for products thus sell more, but it seems like this could have an awful hidden agenda behind it as of course they're not supposed to be mailing seeds.

I do hope they find out what exactly is in those packages and can confirm whether it is dangerous or not.

I know for sure if I get one, I am not opening it and contacting the DOA...coming from China it seems like some risky business. Hopefully it doesn't keep happening.

"Yeah! Let's do it!"

smh...
I've seen a bunch of gardeners on FB doing just that. Sad, really. Looks like the USDA wants the seeds brought in to them. Hot spots have been Washington, Utah and Virginia.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I just realized something, this has been going for a while. A year ago I got mail for a neighbor down the road. I wasn't expecting anything like the package I saw. It said "jewel" and was from China. I'm going to have to ask her what was in that package.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I just spoke to her, they were seeds she ordered from China but I distinctly remember the package being labeled as either a gem or jewelry.

·
Registered
20,590 Posts
I just spoke to her, they were seeds she ordered from China but I distinctly remember the package being labeled as either a gem or jewelry.

Maybe trying to skirt customs. The government likes to check plants brought into the country. May be the Chinese trees that grow all those pre-broken auto parts you buy at places like Autozone.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If they're ordered and received "mislabeled", I would think that's almost certainly trying to get around customs.

Is the OP saying seeds are just randomly received without having been ordered at all? That's definitely weird.

Either way, I wouldn't use seeds from China unless under exceptional circumstances - better to get locally grown in a similar climate/area.

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If they're ordered and received "mislabeled", I would think that's almost certainly trying to get around customs.

Is the OP saying seeds are just randomly received without having been ordered at all? That's definitely weird.

Either way, I wouldn't use seeds from China unless under exceptional circumstances - better to get locally grown in a similar climate/area.
my take is that the seeds are being shipped to people that have ordered seeds in the past, now these packages come later?

put together with what others are saying, it appears maybe seed smuggling is the big thing going on.

cheap cheap seed sent from China. I understand the attraction of cheap.

Dangerous game tho, so many odd bugs, invasive weeds and invasive crops come from China. Maybe ever fungus and bacteria and viruses?

as a farmer, I never really sprayed insecticides ever for corn and beans. Until 2000, when the soybean aphid got introduced to the USA from China. Now I need to spray all my beans about every other year for that pest.

Then the Asian beetle was introduced to eat the aphids, but the beetles can’t keep up. The aphids still wreck the soybeans unless I spray about half the time. And then the Asian beetles overwinter in homes making an icky situation, so many homeowners end up spraying their houses now for the beetles.

we will see more of the same I guess. But, those snuggled seeds are a lot cheaper....

Paul

·
Registered
204 Posts
How much could you really be saving.

I suppose if you ordered 100 pounds of some kind of seed. But just seed packets?

I won't feed my dog chinese treats, why would ai grow and eat anything they send.

I can usually find anything I need or that might be fun to grow from any number of legitimate seed sellers online.

However, while looking for new sources, I have found a few that are obviously straight from Asia. The do have some cool stuff, but no thanks.

I worry about my bank account being hacked as much as I do having tainted pod people seeds.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
What kind of seeds are those in the photo? They look like some kind of citrus...grapefruit maybe? Which would make it even stranger.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
There are heaps of seed sellers on ebay. Most are from random countries, eastern europe and tropical asia.
Guaranteed most of these supposed accidental delivereies are simply customs busting seed orders.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts