seeds in the garden or transplants

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Rxnwl, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Rxnwl

Rxnwl Well-Known Member

I will be ready to plant in the next 3 weeks due to my garden hs to be harvested by June 1 because of the hot weather in the desert.
    I have 2 square foot garden boxes ( which I wasnt at all pleased with last year). Can I plant seeds directly in the garden or would you reccommend transplants? Last year when I tried to put the transplants in, because of the tight space of the squares, I had problems getting the plants in. Thanks for any info.

2. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

It really depends on what you are wanting to grow and the conditions at the time of planting. If it is fairly cool and moist when you seed, I would reccomend directy into the ground for most things. If you need to get a head start on somethings and it's too cold to plant them out now, say peppers and tomatoes, I woud say start them inside and then when it warms plant them in the box. Two square feet is not that much space though so I guess you have to be choosy about what you grow. Good luck, Theresa.

3. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Short growing season? Seeds for fast growing plants like cukes and squash. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, use transplants. You can buy your own seeds like I do and start in mid-december. I like to have my transplants ready for early February. You can also get a jump on the cukes and squash by starting them early so they are two-three weeks old on the first day you can safely plant. Meaning, you can also grow cukes and squash and transplant them.