seeds for houseplants

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by stumpyacres, Dec 20, 2005.

1. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

Houseplants are sooo expensive - can yah start them from seeds? Where would you get the seeds?

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Most houseplants are propagated by cuttings, so all you need to do is cultivate friends that have houseplants and ask them for some.

3. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Parks has a pg. of house plant seeds. I get alot of mine as the grocery store...will have 3 3'4" pots for $10....each will have several plants in them, I divide them up and replant in better soil. By fall they are huge and I can sell some of them at our garden club sale. I think many of these plants are grown and impulsively bought only to end up dead as they will be potbound and often, overfertilized. I've had the same mini rosebushes that I got this way for three years and they are still blooming. Something fun to do while waiting for spring!!!!! DEE

4. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Thompson & Morgan out of England are an excellent source for houseplants/conservatory plants that are propagated by seed. Their English catalog is even better than their American. You might contact them and see what it would take for you to be able to get something from the English offerings.

I've ordered from Thompson and Morgan for years -- their flower selections are especially nice.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/

BW

5. cpeyus

cpeyus Well-Known Member

Stumpyacres - Check your nursery this time of year...Ours has a sale on all the houseplants right now...45% off!! I picked up a few yesterday...I'm hoping they'll get down to 75% off, so I can go back & get a couple of the higher priced ones ;)
    ===
    I agree with Bare - trade with friends! I've gotten a couple of mine that way...and I don't know how many people have Christmas Cactus from my plant! My dad splits his spider fern every year & has a bunch of those now - I need to get more...I let mine die :(
    ===
    Watch your Wal-mart & other places with garden centers - I've been there on "cleaning day" before, when they were THROWING AWAY THE PLANTS that looked pretty sad...I've nursed several back to health, lost a few, too, but they were throwing them away & I got 'em F-R-E-E!

6. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?