Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a source for a seed vault that allows you to choose which seeds are included in the vault? I could have sworn I saw such an option somewhere a couple of years ago. I can't find it now.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. They were the first place I thought of but I looked all over their site and could only find a non-customizable vault.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Thanks for the reply. They were the first place I thought of but I looked all over their site and could only find a non-customizable vault.
Their seeds are mylar packed though so I'd think just purchasing their seed packets you could easily make your own vault? The 'vault' is just a tin sealed with some tape or a good fitting I believe, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
not sure, but I think they will make up a vault for you according to what varieties you want/need for your area. I have noticed the basic vault has varieties I wouldn't use or wouldn't do well for me on this place.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
I looked and didn't see it either, but I did see a comment at the bottom of the seed page about emailing if you don't see something you want, and maybe they could get it for you. I know that before, Matt offered the customized seed vault because we asked, so I'd shoot an email and see if he'd still do that for you.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I don't mean to stomp on Matt's business here ... but seeds in a can are about as much use as trying to learn to swim from reading a book about Jacques Cousteau.

I call it "failure in a can".

If you're already a good gardener, then you can make it work, but if you're not gardening every year and adapting heirlooms to your own hand, climate, and soil then you're going to starve to death if you're thinking you'll just pop some seeds out of a can and plant them when the apocalypse comes.

Matt sells some very good heirloom seeds that are ready to plant.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I do garden. Even though I've been gardening steady for the last 20 years and hit or miss in the decade before that, I don't have much experience saving seeds. So far I can do tomatoes with some success. It is something I am working on.

Being in Canada I know that some of the varieties in a typical seed vault will not do well for my shorter growing season. That's why I was looking for one I could customize.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts