seed starting

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by vtfarma, Mar 8, 2005.

1. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Has anyone gotten their seeds started. I am in Vermont 25 miles from the Canadian border. We have had snow for many days now and will have more this week. The windchill is supposed to be 20 below tonight. I want spring. The Robin that was sitting in the tree this morning wants spring. Snow and blowing and he was puffed up like a softball ... poor thing.

I just was wondering what everyone else has going on in the gardening department. I have to get the seed starting stuff out of the cellar but there is a 4 foot high wall of snow to shovel through first :(

At least I can dream!

2. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

I'm in west Tennesssee, zone 7.

I have some cabbage, broccoli and buttercrunch lettuce under row covers in the garden right now. The spinach, head lettuce, onion, and strawberry plants are in 4 inch pots ready or near ready to go into the garden -- mostly just waiting for a little warmer weather since I don't have any more room under the row cover. I also have seed potatoes and onion bulbs ready to be planted.

In addition, I have some tomato plants that are smaller, living under grow lights, and will not be ready to go into the garden for another three to four weeks.

3. vtfarma

I forgot to say we are zone 4 (good year), but have had winters at 40 below.

I am jealous MsPacMan - it will be June before I get the taste of fresh garden lettuce.

4. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Got a couple dozen geranium seedlings going, about a hundred onion seedlings. Probably going to start the pepper plants and some more flower seeds this weekend. This is in zone three Maine.

5. GrannySue

GrannySue Active Member

I'm in zone 5, but everything that can be started ahead is started. Most of my cukes are ready for first transplanting, as are several tomato varieties. I'll be starting my herb seed this week, along with some flower seed. I'll also start up a few second batches of some things - hoping to extend the harvest a little.

The beds aren't in at the new place yet, but I've been out, and will be marking them in the next couple weeks. Going to try the 'lasagna' style beds this time - no tiller, and medically not allowed to lift or bend, lol. Hoping to get some seed in the ground by the first of the month (if not before). Won't risk it all, but early peas and such should be ok.

Sue

6. Phantomfyre

Phantomfyre Black Cat Farm Supporter

Next week! :dance:
    I'm swamped with midterms this week, but next week is spring break, and I've got all sorts of plans - including starting seeds. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant... plus am going to winter-sow some other early cool-weather crops. First time for that, so we'll see how it works out...

Back to studying. :rolleyes:
    Diana

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I was thinking today that I need to get tomatoes and peppers going. Been preoccupied with hatching and of course, taking care of peeps. MAYBE I'll be moved before summer!

8. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

I'm in MA and have peppers started, waiting to see of the acorn squash is going to sprout for me and a couple potatoe tubers. just hoping they dont get too big before I get a chance to transplant them.

9. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

rouen, can you explain about your potatoe tubers? i have some potatoes left from last years garden in my root celler that are starting to sprout, and i'm wondering how to keep them until the end of may, when i usually put my early potatoes out.

do you pot them up, and then transplant? i would think, because of the way that potatoes grow, that the root system would get messed up if they became rootbound in a pot that was too small.

i usually plant potatoes twice, once, around the end of may and then again in july, for a fall harvest.

thanks
    debbie

10. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Yesterday, I started my flower seeds, tomato and green pepper seeds. (indoors, of course) A BIG thank you :worship: :haha: to those that have helpped me with advice and even sending me seeds to start my flowers for my new home! Ya'll are great people!

Kaza

11. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

We are under way here! I got started last week. I built a mini-green house a few years back out of copper tubing and that is what I start my seeds in.

[​IMG]

Here are my cole crops!
    [​IMG]

Tomatoes and peppers!
    [​IMG]

And this year I am going to try the annual artichokes(those are my onions behind them)
    [​IMG]

Can't wait for spring! (borderline zone 5/6 here)

Sylvar

12. tupps

tupps New Member

Im in Zone 4, I can't wait to get thing started, its been a long winter

13. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Sylvar do you have any pics of that minigreenhouse with out plants in it? I would like to see how you put that together. I have lots of leftover tubing from replumbing and would like to build one of these. I'm just wondering what your trays sit on and how you attached the light ballasts, kinda hard to see from your pics.

14. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm so tired of cold and snow! I'm on vacation next week so I plan on starting lettuces and maybe cabbages. I built a few raised beds with hoops and plastic over them, so I can put my lettuce out early. I can hardly wait to get started.

15. vtfarma

More snow forcast for Vermont this weekend, AND it was 7 below zero this morning. AAAAAHHHHH! I will dig out my seed starting things for Saturday!

Spring will come, spring will come.... someday.

Thanks to all who wrote and told me about your plantings.

Laurie

16. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

I don't have any pics without plants...but I will do my best to explain.

The trays just sit on a sheet on plastic right now. I pull them out from time to time and bottom water them by floating them in a large tray of water (its the tray from the bottom of a wire dog kennel).

I usually use the chains that came with the shop lights, but I seem to have misplaced them. Right now I am using bungees. I will swap those out with new chains when its time to move them up.

Here are the best pics I could get of how the end go together. The long pipes that run the span aren't soldered in. That lets me break it down when I am done.

[​IMG]

17. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

Debbie, I dont know if it'll actually work this is my first time trying it but I've been informed it will by a couple of people, what I did was just cut the eyes(tubers) off the potatoes and planted them, they've already rooted but aren't spreading so much that they'll become root bound and I have them in a 60 gallon tub(okay it's a terrarium but it works.) so space isn't going to be an issue, it's just a matter of whether or not they'll actually grow potatoes, or if they'll just be string-like roots and a potato plant ontop, we'll see, anyone have some input about growint potatoes like this, and/or if it'll work?

18. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that new pic and for the tips, especially the one about not soldering the long spanners. You have done a nice job on that rack and I thank you for sharing it with us!. :worship: Its so much nicer that the expensive ones they offer for sale.

19. vickiesmom

vickiesmom Well-Known Member

I can't wasit to get started!! We just had new snow, so I guess I'll have to wait awhile longer...I have seeds to start indoors though, but I'm waiting until the end of this month to do so...this winter looks like it might sjust drag on...and on...and on...

20. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Zone 10 the watermelon plants are in bloom rite now, corns about 6" tall sunflowers are not to far behind the corn, the bannana trees in the next door neighbors yard has bannanas on them now ,can't wait till summer gets here I hate snow