seed starting temp.?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Buckrun, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

What temp. should my seed starting greenhouse be? It is in my basement and I thought it was a little cool. I but a thermometer in it. it reads 60 degrees. I think it is a little cool. If you think it is too cool how should I warm it up?

It is a wood frame wrapped in plastic with 2 shelves. each shelf has a 2 bulb florescent light.

Steve

2. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

60 deg is too cold for warm season crops like tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucumber, etc. For these you should hold the temperature around 75 to 85 deg. You could get away with 60 deg for cabbage, broccoli and radish but even they will germinate much faster with a higher temperature. You can raise the heat by including a low wattage incandescent light bulb or a home heating pad into your enclosure----just be sure to monitor the temperature closely at the start and adjust the spacing, wattage or heat setting to get close to maintaining the desired 75 to 85 degrees.

3. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

Thanks I think I will try to warm it up some. I did notice thismorning that some of the plants are coming up! I am sure they will be healthier in a warmer enviroment.

Can't wait to get the garden going this year! :D
    Steve

4. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

Once your seeds have germinated you do not want to keep them at that 75 to 85 deg level. If they are up you want to keep the plants in the 50 to 60 deg range, this slows their growth down a bit and makes for a much sturdier plant.