Seed starting mix...and fertilizer

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mutti, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

we use Metro Mix in our small greenhouse. Have tried the big bales of peat and not pleased at all, drys out much too fast and then turns to cement. Didn't like it for potting up either. A friend has a huge nursery with 4 greenhouses and we get this there in 50# bags; use about 4 bags a year. What do you all use and why??? Always open to new ideas :) . Last year we used Sea Magic in the greenhouse and our plants did great. Fertilized once a week. DEE

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I'll be using the stuff at the bottom of the compost bin, after I get the worms out, and the stuff under the rabbits, after those worms are removed, too. :D

Meg

3. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

what is metro mix? I have been wondering myself what other folks use. I used to buy 25 pound bags of a comercial seed starting mix, but would like to see some other successful recipes. One thing I do amend the commercial mixes with is perlite- I can get a huge bag of that at the local feed store for about $10. I sstart a lot of plants so Im looking for a cheaper mix. I tried a free sample of a seed starting mix grom gardens alive and liked it- it is supposedly ground up coconut husks, works well but is too expensive for the bulk that I buy.

4. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

We use Fison's Sunshine mixes. They are soilless mixes, sphagnum moss based -- not peat moss. #2 is for general potting and the stuff we use in all our transplanting, from cell packs to half whiskey barrels. Does not contain fertilizer.

For starting seeds, we use #5. It's a nicely sized mix that is water-retentive, yet drains well and stays soft. It fills even 406 plug trays well, and we also use it in much larger cell plugs, too. No need to do anything to it.

Since the soil mixes come in compressed bales, we dump it out onto the metal-lined potting bench and run a mini-tiller through it to break it up. Sure clogs the air intake quickly, though!

Check with the local places that do their own growing, and I'm sure they'd be glad to sell you some of whatever they use. I've just found out that our bales have taken a jump in price (just like everything else, unfortunately), and I'm sure some of our customers will be unhappy this spring.