seed sprouting problems

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Deb&Al, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

i have three trays of seeds started, tomatoes, peppers, melons and squashes. one tray, with the grower heating pad underneath has started to sprout. i started these on the 8 of april. i kind of got a late start.

i checked the soil temp with my dairy thermometer and in the heat pad tray the soil is 72 degrees. in the other two trays it is 60 degrees.

question: if the trays that are 60 degrees haven't sprouted, do i assume that the seeds have rotted? should i plant some more in the little containers and put the heating pad underneath? should i put the heating pad underneath and the seeds i planted a week ago will germinate?

i have several gardening books but none of them address this apply heat/replant question.

the seeds that have not sprouted are the toms and peps.

thanks.
    debbie

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

You need to consult a seed germination chart. 60º is pretty cool to be sprouting both tomatoes and peppers.

My chart shows 60º to be the minimum temperature at which peppers will sprout, and at that temperature takes 25 days for them to emerge.

Tomatoes show 13.6 days to emerge at 60º.

Optimum sprouting temperature for both is 85º.

3. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

There's no reason to believe the seeds have rotted. You're talking about 6 days since planting----it takes peppers sometimes 3 weeks to come up, depending on variety of pepper, even with bottom heat. 60 deg is too cold for fast germination of most all of the seeds that you listed. I recommend that you rotate your trays on and off the heat mat. Once the seeds have germinated the 60 deg's is fine so move the sprouted seedlings off the mat and place the flat with the tomatoes on it, they will sprout faster then the peppers. If you think about it, seeds lie in the damp ground all Winter and then sprout in the Spring so sitting in your planting mix for 6 days doesn't sound like it would indicate that they have rotted.

4. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I was doing the same thing, poking around and all in my peat pots, but I had two peppers sprout, and when I read the packet it said that it could take 14-21 days for germination, so I realized I just needed to be patient.

Crossing fingers and trying to leave them alone!

hollym

5. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

thank you all for this information. every couple of hours i've been checking my trays and feeling blue :(

i just got home from work, but i'm going to look up some of this stuff about the germination temps.

debbie :)