Seed savers and exchanges

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Farmer Willy, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone save seeds? Anyone interested in swapping seeds you've saved? I either have or expect to have the following this year:

Brandywine tomato--still flowering and growing strong
    Mortgage lifter tomato--ditto
    Hungarian paste tomato--ditto
    Yellow, orange, red bell pepper
    Evergreen sweet corn--only saved a qt., but will trade a packet or two (deer got all of the blue clarage this year, hoping the freezer gets all of the well fed deer in return)
    various winer squashes

No potatoes to exchange yet, grew Kenebec, just not enough this year (after drying and canning) to do a swap on them. Next year definately.

I kept varieties separated to maintain true seed. I'm hoping to have a nice selection of open pollinated seed in a few years.

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

FW,

I am going to plant all heirloom next year. I would love to buy or pay for postage or whatever some of you seeds, nothing, sadly to trade yet.

3. Farmer Willy

I'll hook you up with a sample, try them next year and see if you like them. I plan on trying a few different varieties each year, find the ones I like the best and try to get some acclimated to my location and conditions. Send me a pm with your address and before you place your order maybe touch base with me. Maybe we can coordinate our orders, swap some of our seeds and get a a nice variety that way also.

4. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Well-Known Member

I'll join in! I have all heirloom seeds, some I have more of than others. There'll be more available in a few months. I've got:

herbs
    sauce tomatoes
    storage carrots
    yellow storage onions
    miniature butterhead lettuce and regular sized butterhead

5. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We don't save seeds but have non heirloom seeds of all kinds of vegies to trade. Email hsnrs@localnet.com if interested. We would like to trade for herbs (basil, cilentro, thyme, the common ones).

6. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

I have

leeks
    habanero pepper
    jalapeno pepper
    pickling cucumber (I think this was a hybrid though)
    grape tomatoes
    birdhouse gourds (may have crossed with butternut squash in garden)
    butternut squash (may have crossed with birdhouse gourds)
    Thai chili (need to test)
    Rutgers tomato

Wanted

shallots
    garlic
    pimiento pepper
    colored bell peppers
    green bell peppers
    banana peppers
    pineapple sage
    Black Krim tomato
    Brandywine tomato
    pie pumpkins
    eggplant
    peppermint

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Pink,red and white hollyhock seeds here.....

BooBoo

8. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

I have all heirloom also.
    Three kinds of okra-perkins long pod-clemsen spineless-alabama red, indian corn- red-blue-green, watermelon-red-yellow-orange, queensland blue pumkin, squash-white pattypan-yellow straightneck-butternut-kabocha-acorn-hopi black-blue hubbard,herbs-wormwood-tansy-corriander and some more I can't remember. Willing to trade. shadowwalker

9. reneeearle

reneeearle Well-Known Member

I am interested in buying heirloom seeds. I would like herbs, I make soap and cheese, so any kind to use in those, and would like sweet corn, tomatoes, watermelon cucumber, zucch, summer squash, green beans, carrots.
    I would also like maybe some starts of some fruit and nut trees and bushes. I am willing to buy!!!! thanks,
    Renee

10. Farmer Willy

I don't have any starts to sell-------yet. Maybe when get the nursery running along I'd would be more than willing to sell some stock. In the mean time how about I fix you up with a few packets of what I have saved this year? That goes for the rest of you folks also. I'd look forward to all of you doing the same if you can. Be patient, I've still got some plants blooming here in Central KY. I forgot to mention the watermelon I think, amish moon and stars. Very pretty, even the leaves are splotched with markings. I'll keep the thread alive until the end of the season, email all of you for addresses and we can swap away. Oh, almost forgot, for you folks that are wanting to send out your seeds let's make sure we send any info we can with them---name/variety, type (bush, pole, runner), and any special growing instructions so that the folks getting them have a good shot at growing them successfully. For me half the fun in growing my own plants is getting to share them with others that are interested.

11. CoonXpress

CoonXpress Well-Known Member

Got
    • Basil(Genovese) decent amount of seeds w/ chaff
    • Lemon Balm Whole bunch of seeds w/ chaff
    • Pepper(Tabasco) not many seeds
    • Mint(English) not many seeds(May try to send roots)
    • Rose of Sharon(mixed colors)
    Will be able to throw in some other seeds, after I test for viability.

Looking for

Gourd(BirdHouse/Bottleneck)

Herbs(Ain't picky)

Pepper
    • Jalapeno
    • Habanero
    • Red Carribean*
    Tomato
    • Brandywine
    • Cherokee Purple*
    Tomatillo

Flowers

Alyssum
    Bee Balm
    Calendula*
    Cardinal Climber*
    Cleome
    Marigold(any color)
    Nasturium(any color)
    Zinnia(any color)

* = would just about kill for

Will

12. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

CoonX,

I have a ton of birdhouse gourd seeds. And I am looking for Basil....We need to trade!

Also Available:
    Tigger Melon
    Spinach (Mixed Smooth and curly leaf)
    Peppers (Anahiem,jalapeno,thai,kungpow, super chile)
    Brocoli - Premium crop should be ready to harvest seeds soon

Wanted:
    Sage
    GIANT PUMPKIN <I live to close to Circleville....Now I need to grow one of those BIG ones
    Amish Paste Tomatoes
    Bell peppers <Colored types Esp. Orange
    Pablanos
    Brocoli - Pac Man

Also wanted: Unusual gourds or vegatables...I am always looking to grow something new. If I have something you want...make an offer!

Shane

13. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Right now, I have some lovely anise hyssop, and will soon have some basil. I'll have to look through and see what else is in the Seed Room...

I planted my tomatoes too close this year, and figure that they've cross-pollinated, so I'll have to start fresh next year. But I did get a lot of fruit this year, even if I don't compare the harvest to last year's miserable production.

Pony!

14. Farmer Willy

Didn't want ya'll to think I forgot about you. Everything (for the most part) still rolling along here. Chances are I'll be pulling in a lot of stuff tomorrow (good possibility for frost in the forcast 38-39 expected low), covering the rest and hoping for another warming spell. Received the potatoe onions and ginseng we ordered this spring, got to get the 'sing out, some starting to sprout in the package!! finally got my seed bags, will start getting samples packed this week. Then there is the pictures for the pumpkin contest.....

15. Farmer Willy

OK, I pm'd all of you. Some of you offered to buy seeds, plants ect. Sorry. Goes against the spirit of the thing. I was just planning on sending samples to you. Keep the money and buy yourself a new trowel or an ornament for your Christmas tree. Drop me a line next year and let me know how they did for you if you would. Have fun and watch out for each other.

16. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

FW,so you want some red hollyhocks? I can send them tonight.I need cherry tomato sized tomatos,or a fast growing type.

BooBoo

17. LisaT30

LisaT30 Member

Do you still have any seeds available trade? I just started growing heirloom tomatoes and saving seeds this year and have plenty to share! I've got Black Plum, Prinicpe Borghese, Blue Beech paste, Large Red cherry and Rutgers Select from what I've saved. I've also got tons of Clemson Spineless Okra. I would love some winter squash, Hungarian paste tomato and some peppers. Hope you'll be interested!

LisaT30

18. Pony

Lisa, what sort of winter squash are you looking for? I have a really nice one, don't know what it's called: deep orange skin, shaped like a small jack-o'-lantern shaped pumpkin, the flesh is deep orange and incredibly sweet.

Let me know, and I'll send some along.

What do those Black Plum and Prinicpe Borghese look/taste like? They sound exotic!

Thanks,
    Pony!

Forgot to say: I've got some Garden Peach seeds fermenting right now, should be ready in a week or two.

19. Pony

Farmer Willy, you sweetie pie you! :angel:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I did not even give the seeds another thought, completely forgot about them, and then I got this big old envelope in the mail today. :dance:

You are VERY generous! Thank you again, from the bottom of my heart! You really made my day!

Pony! :hobbyhors

20. Farmer Willy

You're very welcome. Sorry it took so long, seems one chore gets in the way of another and things get stacked up. I hope you have luck with them and will let me know how they did for you this year.