Seed Potatos

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by anitad, Feb 29, 2004.

1. anitad

anitad Member

Are you supposed to cut the seed potatos and let them dry before planting, or you just drop the whole potato in the ground? If I remember correctly my grandfather used to cut them, coat them in some powder and let them sit a few days and then plant, but I cannot remember it all. Help me and my potatos please!

Thanks
    Anita

2. EricG

EricG Well-Known Member

I have heard people say to let them set several days in a paper bag after cutting to scab over to prevent rot. The ones you get commercially are dusted with sulpher I think. Of course they have to be stored/shipped etc..

We always just cut the whole seed potatos into 2-4 pieces with each piece having at least two eyes. Sometimes the night before planting sometimes the same day. Then plant them with eyes up. No problems doing it that way for 8 years now.

EricG

3. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Go to www.irish-eyes.com . They have good advice. If your seed potatoes are little baby potatoes ( like 3/4-1" around), I understand you just use them whole. If they are bigger then they say to cut them into chunks with an eye or two on each, and then let them dry a bit over night, and you can dust them either with sulfur or Douglas Fir bark powder, and that is supposed to prevent fungus, (if there is fungus among us.) I have grown potatoes just fine without the dusting or drying, as I was ignorant. Maybe just beginner's luck.

4. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

i was always told "potatoes the size of hens eggs" meaning that if the seed potatoes r about that size, no need to cut them. if larger, cut to around 4 eyes and a chunk roughly that size. and let the cuts dry a few days prior to planting.