Seed Potatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by bantams, Jan 8, 2004.

1. bantams

bantams Well-Known Member

Where do you buy the best seed potatoes? I'd like to get the All Blues and other, not as common varieties.

2. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't ordered from them yet, but I am going to get this year's seed potatoes from www.irish-eyes.com. I've seen them advertized in Countryside, and their catalogue is full of info and really good descriptions of many varieties -- maybe 70.

3. bantams

bantams Well-Known Member

Which ones are your favorites? There are too many to decide!

4. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

I Like Yukon Gold. I've bought them from Johnny's Select seeds and Irish eyes before but the shipping gets kind of expensive. I found out my local Agway feed store carried them (and walla walla sweet onion seedlings (not sets)) so I'd check someplace like that first. You may save some money. While I doubt they'd have the blues, I was surprised that they had more than one white one red variety

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

6. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

My plan is to grow 4 different kinds (early, mid, late and fingerling) in 4 dark plastic garbage cans (with drainage holes of course). The tire method didn't work for me because my ducks kept noshing on the leaves and so the plants didn't really get a chance to grow. I'm going for: Buffalo Red Ruby, Yellow Finn, Baker King, and Ozette. Then when it's time to harvest, I'll just put the lids on the garbage cans and wheel them around to the north side of the house: instant root cellar.

(Maybe I should empty out the soil and straw and put them in nice clean pine shavings or new straw in the cans...any comments?

7. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

8. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I planted Yukon Gold and Kennebec last year,liked them both.

big rockpile