Seed per acre problem

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Randy Dandy, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Randy Dandy

Randy Dandy Well-Known Member

I figured wrong and didn't put down enough seed on some new dirt...I think. I will measure again tomorrow but I'm sure I only put down 1/2 of what I should have.
    I noticed a couple of the rye seeds starting to shoot up this afternoon.
    We just received a good amount of rain here today.
    If I figure again tomorrow and find out that I should have put down more seed then my question is would it be alright to try and spread some more seed directly on top of the new dirt ?
    Is this my only hope without disturbing what is already there ?
    The only thing I can think of right now is to spread the seed on top of the moist soil tomorrow and then when its dry enough I could take and pull a piece of chain link fence by hand to try and cover up what I can. I know it will be too wet and soft to drive the tractor over it for a long time.
    Its aprox. 1/4 acre(?) and I applied a landscaper mix.
    Any suggestions ???

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Normally seed is spread for incorporation during the freeze/defrost cycle to where the top of the ground is porous. You can still handspread, but you will need to keep the seeds moist. You might try some light mulching.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

If you spread it just before a rain it will be ok,it will bring the seed down.I did this with some Clover Plots,plus I do it on lighter Seed.

big rockpile

4. Randy Dandy

Thank you both very much. I'm going outside here in the next few minutes to measure and figure up my mistake ????
    If I do any more seeding then it will probably have to be this weekend as I might not have enough time to do it after work through the week. We are expecting rain Tues. and Thur. I believe.
    So was my idea of pulling the chain link fence by hand a bad idea ?
    Or should I leave the seed on top of the dirt and let the next rain settle it down ?

5. big rockpile

I would forget about pulling anything over it,just let the Rain work it in.If you try covering it you might damage what is getting ready to and what has sprouted.

You welcome

big rockpile

6. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Well I'm of a different opinion than others.
    Since you have only used seed for 1/8th acre here (1/4th seeded at half) I would just ignore the earlier planting, buy enough seed for the full 1/4 acre and do it right by reseeding. If what is there does go ahead and grow just fine it shouldn't make the other too thick.

7. Randy Dandy

I guess this is what I get for doing some one weekend and some another time.
    I have close to 1/2 acre there. I re-figured my amount of lime and fertilizer and did alright on that, but when I went to seed I guess I had 1/4 acre on the brain. On top of that I didn't put enough down even if it had been 1/4 acre.
    I talk to the guy at tractor supply and he said I should be alright to spread it on top of the ground. The ground I'm seeding is on a gradual slope but is all loose dirt so will stay moist for quite some time.
    So I think Ill reseed like Windy said but on top of the ground like big rockpile said. I will hope for the best. I have too many irons in the fire :haha:
    Thank you all for your help and suggestions,
    Randy

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

randy, are you planting rye grass or cereal rye? If it is rye grass forget the overseeding at this time of year. If it is cereal rye, and you overseed plant enough seed to compensate for the loss of the overseeded seed that will not take root and grow. Go a full rate plus some, or do as Windy suggested.

9. Randy Dandy

agmantoo its a landscape mix
    58.78 % Souther Comfort Tall Fescue
    24.75 % Carmen Red Fescue
    7.45 % Cinderella Perennial Ryegrass
    7.08 % MBH Perennial Ryegrass

I certainly hate to waist aprox. 200.00 of seed. About 3/4 of the people Ive talked to say just spread it on top. The other 1/4 people say do it over.
    The way I did it to begin with was disk in the lime and fertilizer. I then spread the seed and lightly disked it in. It really needed to be done with a steel tined drag rack or something similar. My main goal is the save the dirt for now. I can smooth and landscape better a few years down the road. This effort is the results from some dozer work because of house site preparation. Thanks for the help and concern. If I do anything it will probably be today. I have to make up my mind on the best procedure. Any more suggestions are certainly welcome.
    What to do :bash:

10. big rockpile

Randy

I've always just dealt with Kentucky 31 Fescue Seed.To be cheaper and I think it will work just worry about the Fescue it will be just fine.The Rye just gives it a faster Green.

big rockpile

11. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

At this date do as rockpile states and go with ky 31 only. 50 lbs is $32.50. I am firm in my opinion that the seed needs to be covered. A sod drill would be optimum. Be aware that if you hit a long dry period this summer you will lose the stand. Should you decide to overseed only then apply at least 20 % more seed than if you covered them. I am always interested in growing grass in abundance and with high yields per acre and I have never had much "luck" with over seeding grasses, with clovers I can get along OK. By planting seed in a proper seed bed the luck part does not play as important part in obtaining quality stands. I realize there are always exceptions to everything. Wishing you success regardless of the technique! :)