Seed germination medium/compost (Citrus)

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by rwood, Jul 19, 2005.

1. rwood

rwood Well-Known Member

Hi there.

I am trying to germinate Citrus seeds of the rootstock P.Trioliata (purchased from a Citrus Organisation locally). I am planning on budding my desired varieties on to these seedlings at a later time. This question is just about germination.

Now that I have my cold frame (see "Want to Build propagator"), I am about to start on germinating seeds. I am about 7 weeks away from last frost in my area (its Winter down here in Australia) and I think that gives me enough time to get the seeds to a size where they can be potted up and out of the cold frame at that time for spring growth. (2 weeks to germinate, 3 weeks to first true leaf)

I want to make my own if its cheaper, or should I just buy a seed raising mix from the nursery? I cannot find anything detailed on google. What mix do I put in the seed trays / flats?

So far I have found that a general mix is

2 parts Peat (or substitute),
    2 parts sand
    1 part loam,
    with minor fertiliser and minerals.

But is this good for citrus?
    Can I substitute Coir Peat (coconut?) for real Peat?

Any ideas would be great. Any Citrus growers who might have handy advice please add whatever tips you can. I am doing this for about 1000 seeds (Should get about 20 trees after the learning process takes its toll :) ), so I want to get it as right as I can for consistant seedling production.

Thanks
    Raphael in Australia.

2. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

You Might Goggle "ifas Citrus " That Is The Univ. Of Florida Institute For Agriculture.

If You Have That Many Seeds, Why Dont You Try Several Dif. Mediums?

We Have Lovely Citrus Trees Growing Wild. I Would Like To Grow Some Of The White Grapefruit We Have From Seed.

Hope You Give Us An Update From Time To Time.

Mom Sue

3. rwood

rwood Well-Known Member

Hi Sue,

Of course, you are so right!! :goodjob: Great idea, I love a good experiment. I will try a few different things for sure.

I still need peoples idea's though, and I will then be able to compare them. Please keep your advice coming!

Thanks
    Raf

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

You might want to check the Texas citrus research station in Weslaco Texas they do alot of research and breeding of new varities there.