Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a spreader that can handle rough ground.
I have an ATV spreader but it bounces all over. Even broke a weld on my rack.
All of the tow-behinds I've seen have those little wheels which seem problematic in mud and on rough ground.
That left me looking at 3 point spreaders for my tractor, but all of those have a minimum spread of about 40 feet.
And sometimes, I will just want to use it on a few rows at a time or on a small area.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
You can run a 3 pt. pto driven broadcast spreaders at lower RPM to reduce the spread width and you can also adjust it so it only throws one direction. But, broadcasting seeds is not nearly as efficient as drilling. You can either buy an old one or rent one as needed and come out way ahead in total cost and results, imho.

·
Registered
512 Posts
You don't give a general location, so it is hard to evaluate what may work the best.. Alberta or Alabama makes a difference..
On rough ground if your going fast, hard enough to break a pull behind, that may not be the way to approach the task..
Sounds more, like said, a job for a tractor and 3 point hitch spreader..
If you search the compact tractor forums there is a ton of info on spreaders.. Implement sites will have models that will handle all kinds of products..
If I were to purchase a spreader for our needs, it would be a 3 point tractor model, capable of spreading salt and sand.. This would also be capable of being adjusted to spread seed and fertilizer decently.. Not as good as a dedicated product spreader, but good enough for my needs..

Reactions: R.Burgundy and doc-

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't give a general location, so it is hard to evaluate what may work the best.. Alberta or Alabama makes a difference..
On rough ground if your going fast, hard enough to break a pull behind, that may not be the way to approach the task..
Sounds more, like said, a job for a tractor and 3 point hitch spreader..
If you search the compact tractor forums there is a ton of info on spreaders.. Implement sites will have models that will handle all kinds of products..
If I were to purchase a spreader for our needs, it would be a 3 point tractor model, capable of spreading salt and sand.. This would also be capable of being adjusted to spread seed and fertilizer decently.. Not as good as a dedicated product spreader, but good enough for my needs..
Thanks.
Central Virginia.
No salt. Fertilizer, lime and seed mostly.

And honestly, the rough ground is probably my fault. It's hunting land that is about 2.5 hours away from my main residence and so I really haven't spent the time I should on the soil.
To this point, I've been just bush hogging, plowing and disking once / year to put in food plots.
Difficult as it may be with my schedule, I'd like to improve it so that it can produce a steady supply of vegetables and also better deer forage.
I don't own a tiller. But maybe my box blade can even things out a bit after disking.
At least initially, I wouldn't expect a tow-behind to survive.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
I have a little wagon style, 7' wide drop spreader, cn pull it behind my UTV 0r the tractor. Think it holds about 700# of material?
Groundbuster makes a nice one.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Qermination sucess depend son a properly prepared seed bed.

When I built proto type equipment in my tool and die shop for the turf equipment industry..
Germination percentage is governed by first.... seed to soil contact... next by water when needed..
There can be more flexibility in seed bed prep... Meaning some seeders are built for relatively un prepped soil, that being no till food plot seeders or most over seeders to use on existing growth.. Be that a golf course or hay fields, and all in-between..
The other end being powder fine tilled seed beds..

My 5 cents of experience...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts