seed/ fertilizer spinners

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. Anyone familiar with those cone shaped 3pt spinner applicators? I sometimes have some starter fertilizer left, or want to interseed in the pasture a little, or put some oats or alfalfa seed on a bare spot.

    Local store has a Cosmo brand, I've seen a Herd brand.

    Any good or bad points about these types of things?

  2. uncle Will in In.

    uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

    May 11, 2002
    Hi Paul. I had one for several years until I rented my ground. They are very good for clover seed and fertilizer. Grass seed is so light it don't spread out as far as round seeds. Also you need a stick to poke dpwn through it to keep it from bridging over in the hopper. They will last for years with a little oil and grease with each usage. Herd is made in Logansport Indiana. They made the larger ones for about 60 years. They bought out Cyclone seeder company who made small hand seeders about 25 years ago. They will mount on any tractor draw bar, or you can get them with 3 point hook up with any size hopper you would want.

  3. Ross

    Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

    May 9, 2002
    I've got one and you really have to keep them cleaned out and dry. Mine is a Bogballe, and has an agitator that keeps the mix from bridging. I buy most of my fertilizer in bulk and it comes with a trailer spreader but this little guy lets me buy left over bagged fertilizer or to do small areas. Handy but they rust if you don't keep after them.