Seed companies...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Cheryl in SD, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

My dh would like me to order organic heirloom seeds this year...again. Last year some did fine, but at least 1/2 of the seeds didn't come up. He suggested I ask you where you get this kind of seed and what kind of success you had with different companies.

Thanks,
    Cheryl

2. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

We've had good luck with seeds from Fedco and Territorial. Also Johnny's but they can be a bit expensive. Nice thing about OP seeds though is you after the intital cost you can start saving seeds and that helps a lot.

3. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

I have used Baker Creek before with good results. :dance: I will try to look up their website when I get home tonight unless someone else knows it.

4. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

It's http://www.rareseeds.com/index.php?page=indexpage :cowboy:

5. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

6. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Hi Cheryl, I ordered from a number of places this year and recommend Fedco hands down. Their prices are good, they have organic seeds available, lots of heirloom, and one neat thing is if you order $25 worth of stuff (easy for me) the shipping is free. They have a web site, but you need to call them to get their free catalog.

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds.htm

I like Baker Creek too, for all the varieties they have. Their shipping is cheap too.

R.H. Schmway is one I always order from. They have some unique items and some old varities.

I really wanted some things from Territorial, but if I only ordered one thing the shipping was already $11.00, if I remember right.

Pinetree is good, their prices are cheaper but their packages are smaller on most things--which is Ok for some things.