Seed Catalogs?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by countrymommy134, May 3, 2005.

1. countrymommy134

countrymommy134 Member

Okay, I've heard so much about the highly anticipated seed catalogs. My mom was telling me that my Pawpaw (great grandfather) used to wait to get the catalog every year and then he would get a big box of seeds a couple of weeks later. She never thought anything about it, but now that I'm getting "into" gardening, I think it is neat that my Pawpaw used to wait around for that catalog and box! :)

Anyway, where do you order your seed catalogs from? I don't want to be inundated with catalogs, as I don't have time to look through them all. Just the best of the best, please! :)

I have a friend that owns Forney Seed Farm and they have all kinds of "international seeds" or something like that - from China and other places around the world.

Thanks! :)

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Garden catalogues or any other catalog is something I relish greatly. I am probably a catalog junkie. It doesn't matter if the catalog is of somthing I will never use, I want to study it and take in all of the products available. They are a great education as to what is available for any phase or aspect of anyuones life. Of course that is my opinion. I have considered suggesting that the local public library put in a catalog section for perusal.

To answer your question, you order a specific catalog from the company it represents. To see some of those available go to the Google search page, click onto "more", click onto "catalogs", onto "Home and Garden", onto "Plants & Seeds" and from there you will be whisked away into wonderland. The listings are alphabetical.

I receive my "Twilley" seed catalog in plenty of time to study it for the coming year. This season it arrived during late October 2004. What can be better than a cup of coffee on a cold winter day with garden crops to dream about, study, and planning to plant. Studying new varieties and rereading old descriptions and then comparing all of the selections is a joy. Cost comparison of seeds, shipping and handling is work but well worth the effort if you have more than one catalog.

I highly recommend for beginning gardeners that they order a "Burpee" catalog, a "Parks" catalog, a "Miller Nursery" catalog, and a "Stark Brothers" catalog. All of these have wonderful descriptions and great photos. Of course always remember that what you raise may not be picture perfect.

As far as getting too may catalogs I found that by subscribing to Organic Gardening a number of years ago that I indded was blessed with aplenty. How do I know the catalogues came as a result of subscribing? They misspelled my first name and all of the catalogs came with that same spelling.

You can expect to receive a catalog from each company that you order from. I ordered from Gurneys this year for the first time in nearly 30 years. Since placing my order I have gotten quite a number of catalogs, no doubt as a result of that order. I don't plan on ordering from Gurneys ever again, so won't order from the others either.

3. countrymommy134

countrymommy134 Member

Wendy,

Burpee is the one that my mom said that my Pawpaw used to get!! Neat! I'll check into the ones you suggested.

Just curious about Gurneys - why won't you order from them again?

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Decades ago I was soured on Gurneys when they didn't send potato sets in a timely manner. When I contacted them they said all of the potatoes had been shipped. When I asked them to check my order to see when they were shipped I was then informed that my order wasn't filled, that they had sold out and none were available. Left high and dry without seed potatoes and the local supply sold out too because of the late date. Never being told they had sold out and wouldn't be filling my order was wrong, never mind not refunding my order.

This year when I continually received email offers of "Special Prices" I would look in the paper catalog condition to see just how much savings there was. I always found the email offers higher in price, which to me is deceptive when offered as "Special Prices." They were indeed "Special" all right, always higher.

When I wrote to inquire about this here is the response I received.
    ---
    "Dear Customer:

Thank you for your email. We are sorry for the mistake.
    If I can be of further assistance please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Frankie
    Customer Service"
    ------
    Mistake? There was no mistake, only that I wouldn't sucker for higher prices. The offers kept rolling in, all at higher prices. I simply wrote and told me to stop sending the offers and that I wouldn't be doing further business with the company. I certainly won't do business knowingly with a company that isn't above board.

Others on here have also had problems this year with discount coupons.

Burpee has wonderful catalogs with excellent descriptions. While they often are higher in price I consider it a great investment as they continually research and come up with new varieties. Many of those varieties make the "All American Selection".

Parks seeds are packed in sealed foil packages. If for some reason you don't get the seeds planted, the package should easily let them be carried until another year.

5. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

www.gardenwatchdog.com

You can check out the "ratings" of most seed catalogs at the above link.
    If you find one with a good rating, do a Google search, find their site, and request a catolog. :)

6. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Seeds of Change, Pine Tree, Territorial, oh there's soooo many good ones :)