Seed catalogs of doom!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mutti, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Want everything!! All looks so enticing this time of year...not so much so weeding in August! So trying to keep to my list. A thumbs up for Viva Italia paste tomatoes...we grew these last year and they were a huge sucess....put up over 100 qts. thru the Squeezo, ate and gave away bags full and they just kept on going...definitely on our list for spring....and the Red Cloud hybrid beets from Jungs did great,also Ambrosia canteloupe and all the dalhia seeds I got from Jungs devleloped really nice tubers for next years and flowered quite heavily this year. What did well for you this year???? DEE

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I remember growing Viva Italia. They are excellent for squeezo and tomoto sauce. Another variety besides the one called 'Pear' is "Square'. All these are prolific and nice processor tomatoes.

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Mutti, you read a catalog and want everything. I walk right into those catalogs and then it's even worse! Tuesday I was into the Seed Savers Exchange store in Madison, WI. Everything that's in their public catalog is available there. I need to wear ear plugs when I visit that store as everything is screaming: "Take me home!". Then I have to listen to most of them crying when only a few packets are bought. Wednesday was the same thing but at Jung's. 2004 seed racks have now been cleared out but there was still a lot of garlic calling my name. At least I didn't leave them drowning in their tears as I promised to work something out with the manager and possibly find homes for them.

For tomatoes, be patient. Sometime in early January, I'll be having an offer that should have a tomato variety for everyone's tastes and needs or growing conditions. Unlike last year when only two main varieties were offered to HT members, I'll be turning loose close to 25 varieties. Big, little, yellow, gold, red, pink, black, canners, juicers, slicers, paste, whatever. There's even one good paste type which puts Viva Italia to shame and never suffers from blossom end rot! All will be open pollinated varieties so whoever gets them will have to save seed if they want to grow the same ones in the future. Especially since some are only available from SSE members or a select few from Garden Web Forums. Few of them will be offered by me for 2006 as my 2005 growing plans are already mapped out.

Martin

4. marisal

marisal Well-Known Member

Martin,

I just have to say that that is so nice of you! You give out seeds to poeple every year, that must take up a lot of time for you. Thank you.
    You gave me tomato seeds last year, and the seedlings started great, but when I went to the hospital to have my baby, we had to stay days long than thought because of complications, and I forgot to get someone to water all my seedlings.. :no:

I lost every plant I had growing. (Over 100) Aww well.

This year will be different. We are buying a house, It has a small one room cottage with propane, electricity, and water, so I'm turning that into a seed starting room/garden shed.

Sorry to hyjack the thread, just wanted to tell Martin I think he's great.

Oh, and I haven't gotten any seed catalogs yet. I can't wait!!

~Marisa :)

5. Paquebot

Marisa, Mutti doesn't mind that you popped in on this thread. Two years ago, as I recall, the very first request for the free seeds came from Dee! I've temporarily misplaced the 2004 list but bet that Mutti was one of the first to ask this year as well.

Also, as I've had to do with a number of HT gardeners, I will find it within my heart to forgive you for killing my "children". Sometimes the best of plans go awry. Two years ago, the Wisconsin 55 was grown out at my daughter's place to isolate for 100% true seed. No problem. Same was scheduled for this year. About the same excuse as you have except that it was my daughter who had her first baby on 10 May. Needless to say, terrible timing insofar as gardening goes, and I had to quickly find another growing location.

You will get a second chance at both Wisconsin 55 and Paquebot Roma. My Roma was not included in the current Garden Web tomato seed offer but will be one of the options in the HT offer.

Martin

6. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Oh Martin, I have a hard time just looking away from the seed catalogs, how ever do you manage at a real...live seed store?? :no: We have a whole collection of seed catalogs that have come in and I have set them aside until after Christmas. My January gardens are always so perfect!!! :)

7. Paquebot

Diane, one does have to practice restraint when the entire contents of a catalog are right there on display. There is no time to sit night after night to study the different varieties and then carefully decide upon what to buy. Years ago, Old's Seed Company was based in Madison, WI and open to the public. Everything was in bulk bins. One bought a scoop of this, tablespoon of that, or a teaspoon of something else. I swear that the smallest amount of anything would be enough to plant a quarter-acre! Selection wasn't as great as it is now but one got the proper varieties which were proved to do well around here. Now it's 20 varieties of each, pre-packaged, and one never knows which to select. Even with careful planning, I still often end up buying something that I already have at home or something that I really don't have room for. First time visitors go crazy and buy twice what they have room for. Real planners go through the catalog and mark what they would like. Then they use that as a guide and still buy too much!

Since this morning's post, I've been to Jung's and returned with good and bad news. The annual free trial packets are always a secret until the catalogs are in the mail. The good news is that they should be available to me around mid-January. The bad news is that the vegetable will be some type of bean, variety unknown, possibly a bush snap bean. Yes, that's good news for everyone else except the person who has to figure out how to mail them without investing a fortune in padded envelopes! I can live with spending 49 cents postage on a bulky envelope, as I did two years ago with the Red Cloud beets. Weight may move it into the second ounce which would mean 60 cents postage. Adding another 50 cents cost for a padded envelope would really take the fun out of it. It's definitely going to be a headache if I'm going to continue helping out fellow HT gardeners.

Martin

8. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Hey Martin, I don't have a problem paying the shipping costs, I'm sure that there are many others that feel this way as well. Your generousity is to be greatly commended. :worship:

9. marisal

Martin,

Can you please send me your address, so I can send you out mailers? what would be your prefered size? I will get the lightest weight ones, but I'm curious on dimentions....

~Marisa :)

10. Paquebot

Marisa, I've already been searching the Internet in an effort to make it less painful. The handiest size is about 4x6 and I know that someone makes them since we often get small electronic parts in such an envelope. However, can't locate that one anywhere. I may have decided on 6x8 self-sealing at $38 per case of 250, 14.8 cents each. I could live with that. That size would also be handy for several special Garden Web projects that I'm into. Besides, there have always been a few Countryside/HT members who send a couple bucks to help out with the postage. My agreement with Jung's is that I can get unlimited quantities of their trial packets for distribution as long as I don't sell them. I'm certain that there would be no objections if I mentioned that donations to help with postage costs would be welcomed but not mandatory. The only ways that anyone else can get those packets are to make a purchase at the stores or by mail or Internet order. The latter two also involve a $3.50 minimum handling charge. Along with everything else that I'll have available, it would be an absolute steal if everyone sent a buck. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there. As long as there is money in the Social Security fund, my seed projects won't bankrupt me!

Oh, did find this year's list. Mutti was really slipping. Rather than being the first to request as in 2003, #29 in 2004. Perhaps memorable in that there were exactly 100 requests after that!

Martin

11. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I'm not following a word of this thread... it is sort of confusing and seems to boil down to some lucky (or unlucky, depending on your point of view!) person has access to big stores of seeds... but the title of the thread is an absolute howl!

My husband would agree... especially when the stacks of seed catalogs reach lethal heights and threaten to topple...

12. Paquebot

MorrisonCorner, you're not supposed to understand what's going on here. It's only a special sect within this forum that is allowed to know what code we are writing in. They are known as HT's Plant Killers. The subsequent silence on this thread has been because we are all voting to see if you will be allowed to join. Touch and go so far with most saying that you should be allowed in but always a skeptic or two. Final decision will be up to me. At the moment, you stand a good chance of being allowed to join that select group but you're going to really have to work hard to find a new way to kill or destroy my children. Dogs, cats, rabbits, squirrels, slugs, wild hogs, and babies have been used far too many times already. I'm the only one who used a skunk as a reason so you can't use that one again. Documented major floods, tornadoes, and earthquakes are acceptable excuses, drought is not!

Seriously, I think that the bean involved will indeed be a bush type green snap bean. It may not even have a name yet and simply called Experimental number such and such. Thus it's a virtual no-brainer for growing. The initial shock that it's going to be a pain in the rear has passed and proper mailing envelopes are already on order. I did talk to Jung's later today and no problem with me accepting a buck as long as I don't insist on it. However, despite my added costs, it's still going to be a FREE offer when it appears.

Mutti hasn't been forgotten. I know which catalogs are landing in the mailboxes around the country. Virtually everyone reporting Vermont Bean Seed Company first with Totally Tomatoes right behind. Pinetree also just now getting into gardeners hands. I make certain that I'm on virtually every catalog mailing list just to check on availability of certain varieties. Failing that, there are the Internet sites of non-catalog companies to visit. Rather maddening to have to chase all around to find growing space. So many varieties, so little ground!

Martin

13. MorrisonCorner

WHAT???? I haven't got a single seed catalog yet... you people have CATALOGS???

It is a conspiracy dang it all... to keep New England depressed and anxious right through Christmas!

You don't really have seen catalogs already... do you? You're just joshing... right?

Have I been bumped from mailing lists?

Oh dear...

14. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I received 5 catalogs just the other day!! I am still waiting for a couple more to come in.

I'll be looking for the seed giveaway this year. I sure would like to try some different types of all veggies.

I used R.H. Schuman's catalog last year. Everything grew but didn't produce very well - probably due to the excessive rains that we had in Texas.

15. marisal

I got Heirloom acres catalog so far. Thats it!! I usually get about 10 or so catalogs.....not yet.

16. diane

diane Well-Known Member

MC.......you must have been really BAD!! :haha: I have a big stack of catalogs already.

17. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

i must be bad too as i have already ordered and received my seeds for next spring from the seed trust!

18. WV Rebel

WV Rebel Well-Known Member

I don't mess with Jung Seed anymore and here's why!

http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/106/

I get most of them from www.IvyGarth.com and www.StokesSeeds.com in the US side (they are in Canada, too).

Try Ultra Sweet tomatoes (Stokes AND IvyGarth). You'll need to stake them. They're wonderfully sweet and tomato-tasting. The Big Beefs are good, too (Stokes).

19. MorrisonCorner

But.. but... I wasn't! :waa: I have been a good little seed consumer... really! I don't know how to save seeds (ok, I do know how to save bunching onions.. let them go to seed and they reseed a patch one step down from the original patch!). I buy seeds every year...

Sniff.

I've been forsaken by seed companies :eek:

WOE!

and me on a dial up connection!

Oh my gracious! It is a Monsanto conspiracy to keep me from heirloom seeds!

20. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

"""But.. but... I wasn't! I have been a good little seed consumer... really! I don't know how to save seeds (ok, I do know how to save bunching onions.. let them go to seed and they reseed a patch one step down from the original patch!). I buy seeds every year...

Sniff.

I've been forsaken by seed companies

WOE!

and me on a dial up connection!

Oh my gracious! It is a Monsanto conspiracy to keep me from heirloom seeds!""

I thought I was the only one with no catalogs. Those durn LL Bean Catalogs come every day, sometimes two in a day. Maybe they're ganging up on the seed catalogs and kicking them out of the mailbox. It's a reflection of the American way, consume, consume, consume, rather that produce, produce produce.