This is actually a parasite of a mushroom. The red crust on the outside is the stromatic sterile tissue of the ascomycete, and the white flest on the inside is the flesh of a basidiomycete mushroom, presumably Russula or Lactarius species. It's almost like mycological cannabilism: "fungi eating other fungi". This edible fungus has been eaten for hundreds of years with a very slim chance of any problems, unless a known poisionous species might be the one being parasitized by the ascomycete portion of the complex. This mushroom 'complex' has a red to red orange shell and a white inside. It can grow quite large, typically the size of a mans hand and shaped often to resemble a funnel. The original gilled basidiomycete that is parasitized underneath the ascomycete lives little resemblence to it's original form, thus the surface is smooth to slightly ridged on the underside and a rough texture to the surface. It can be abundant through summer into fall and often on in association with leaf litter and a partial conifer canopy. Can be found in mixed decidous and evergreen older growth forests. A hint for cooking is that it is excellent with garlic and seafood, and has a texture similar to some of the shelled seafoods. Can you guess the name of this fungus?