Sediment?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sheepmom, Dec 20, 2004.

1. sheepmom

sheepmom Guest

Any one know of an inexpensive way to install a sediment filter at the cold water hose for my washer? This is the only place that the sediment is a major problem.....

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

It shouldn't be difficult. Canister housings that hold filters are available at a multiitude of stores including hardware,s Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. You almost always spill some water when the filter is changed out so locating it somewhere where spillage isn't a problem is easiest. A whole house model isn't that expensive and you prevent sediment from accumulating in your hot water heater and eventually killing the lower element too.

3. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with my clothes washer. What I did was install a screen filter (the size of a faucet washer) between two regular washing machine hoses. You can find the screen filters at any decent sized store that sells plumbing supplies. The screen clogs after about two loads. When that happens, I turn off the water, remove the filter and blow the particulate matter into a bucket.

I tried using a canister filter, but it clogged to the point of uselessnes after only a few loads of laundry. I also found it extremely difficult to change the filter because the canister would sieze shut. The screen filter works considerably better for me.

4. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Washing machines usually have a screen installed from the factory in the mixing valve. If you pull the two hoses off the back and look in the openings on the washer you can see them. The mesh size isn't small enough on the factory screens to stop fine sediment.

The housings for whole house filters come in a variety of sizes. Some will take almost 2' long filters as compared to the common 2 1/2" x 9 3/4" filter commonly sold. If you have trouble getting the housing off, they make a wrench that makes it much easier.

5. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

It was the bult-in screen that was clogging on mine. They don't come out so they are a PITA to clean. The in-line screen that I put in works just as good for me, and it is much easier to clean out. I tried using the wrench that came with the case filter, but it didn't work. Later, I tried using a strap wrench and wound up cracking the housing so I gave up on it as a bad idea. I've heard that puting vaseline on the threads makes it go easier, but it was already siezed up before I heard about that.