Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had McAfee through AOL, but it is now expired. What do I do? Do I buy another one online and if I do, is it a one time charge or is it a monthly subscription? I now have minimal protection from windows. Please help me.
Thank you, Paula

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
clamjane said:
I had McAfee through AOL, but it is now expired. What do I do? Do I buy another one online and if I do, is it a one time charge or is it a monthly subscription? I now have minimal protection from windows. Please help me.
Thank you, Paula
The very first thing I do when getting a new computer is Throw away McAfee and put on Norton.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
comfortablynumb said:
and drag your system resources down by 30%
So??
I have had NO Norton related problems in the 11 years I have had 2 different home PC's and then before we had Norton on our Apples, and Macs~~!
And I have no problem with computer speeds etc, or Message board related problems. And I have Norton Systemworks and that is a nice combo As I have do not have Norton Internet Security, NOR Will I have Norton Firewall crud.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Cite your computer specifications here first...make and model,processor speed,operating system,ram,etc. This will help determine if you have the necessary system requirements for Norton 360.

Did you uninstall McAfee? Better do that, so there's no conflict. Norton is good at stopping if there are other AV versions on your computer. You didn't get a message box?

RF

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a compaq presario windows XP. A Norton program came with the computer and I deleted it before I tried to load 360. Right now all I have is whatever windows and aol are giving me for free.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
comfortablynumb said:
Jeeze arabian, take a chill pill already.

I had no idea you were so emotionally attached to symantec products.

lol
Classic ancient 'put-down',

much overused and utterly pointless.

Personally, I enjoyed Arabian's opinion about his preferred AV program, and I respect that he offered to assist the OP.

·
Registered
950 Posts
and comfortably numb you are right about norton and mcafee use something free like avast or AVG both good free virus and malware scanners.
Why these days would anyone pay for something they can get for free is beyond me.

Also Comfortablynumb you should know better than to use WAREZ most of them have trojans embedded in them and I know you know better because its illegal.

·
Banned
4,808 Posts
KCm that wasnt a put down.... arabian was getting bent out of shape for no good reason....

I simply pointed out norton drags your system resources down by 30% and he replied "SO??"
[and a rant]

hey, you want to waste system resources on a pay prog that doesnt work as well as a free one that runs better on 1/3 the drain....

go ahead, if it works good for you.

your both getting bent out of shape over nothing

and chill pills are a time tested cure...

lol

·
Registered
950 Posts
shop for your warez from reliable sources, a great majority of them are perfectly safe.

LOL Sorry that made me laugh :)
I know what you are saying but doenst change the fact its illegal.
There are plenty of free programs out there that are LEGALLY free that you dont have to steal off of warez sites.

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
A side note (supported by my troubleshooting experience)....

Norton Antivirus (or better yet, Symantec Antivirus, if you can get a hold of it) by itself is not that bad.

It's when you buy those all-in-one solutions (Norton 360, Norton Internet Security, etc.) that it really begins to slow down.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
Kung said:
A side note (supported by my troubleshooting experience)....

Norton Antivirus (or better yet, Symantec Antivirus, if you can get a hold of it) by itself is not that bad.

It's when you buy those all-in-one solutions (Norton 360, Norton Internet Security, etc.) that it really begins to slow down.
OK I WILL agree with that 110%~!
I DO NOT Have Norton Internet securities, I do NOT Have Norton Firewall.
What I DO HAVE, is Norton Systemworks, WITHOUT those other things!
I even had to Uninstall Firewall because I could not do a disk scan.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

I've used NAV for years with no problem. The problem usually lies with the user being unable to configure the software properly. I run multiple processors and lots of ram, so I have no problem with "resource hogs" bogging me down. In my opinion, the security suites are best left to advanced users...not green behind the ears newbies.

RF

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
arabian knight said:
OK I WILL agree with that 110%~!
I DO NOT Have Norton Internet securities, I do NOT Have Norton Firewall.
What I DO HAVE, is Norton Systemworks, WITHOUT those other things!
I even had to Uninstall Firewall because I could not do a disk scan.
Actually I don't even like Norton Systemworks (the older versions were cool but the newer ones load down one's system a bit), but it sounds like you installed just the NAV portion of Systemworks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.