Security Lighting

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Torch, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    I have flood lights at all four corners of my house that are controlled via a single switch in my bedroom. When the dogs start acting weird I hit the switch and look out to see what's up. This is nice but the problem is that they only illuminate a limited distance. I would like to install a few more lights at strategic locations around the property, my gate for example. I rented a ditch witch and I've run power out to these locations but I'm not sure the best way to turn the lights on and off. I would prefer NOT to have them on unless I want them on.

Any ideas? Wireless of some sort maybe?

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

how far the run of wire and what guage limit your choice of lights . can you give run and gauge?

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

A motion light at the driveway might be worth considering. A motion light with a bell hooked in place of one of the bulbs that would ring in the house is another possibility.

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Depending uncle will, as those motion lights/bells will wake you whenever a creature passes by. My neighbor ended up disabling his as he was alerted for each rabbit, oppossum, coon, dog, deer, etc.

Distance is a factor. Maybe a remote control would work?

5. kate

kate Well-Known Member

what i have done in past is put your outgoing line on a switch for large security lite.(farme lite) that way you can have it go on every nite or turn off if you wish. i always put these security lites on switches, but seldom turn them off. if i had a group of them, though, i would. just one, if put up high enough (elec.pole)illuminates a really large area.

6. fourangels

fourangels Member

With the Ditch Witch you are half way there. Use direct bury cable and also encase it in plastic conduit as this will protect the cable further. (Especially if you forget where you burried it and have to dig near it in the future.) After running the wires to the house (you should be able to put 10 sets of double flood lights on one 20 amp circuit) brin it in to your electrical pannel using a 20 amp breaker. Run wires from where a switch (or switches) to a 4x4 junstion box near your electrical panel and make the final connection here, Label the cover plate of the junction box so you know what it is in the future. Remember the higher you place the llights the better the larger the area of illumination, however there does come a point where height will not give you any larger area, about 30 feet. Hope this helps.

Ron

7. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member