security camera

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kate, Nov 10, 2004.

1. kate

kate Well-Known Member

i am thinking i would like to get a security camera for sons shop, which has a lot of tools and stuff in it. it could set up under the eves, so would not be in weather. i do not want to spend a lot of money, but yet want something that will do the job. i guess you can wire them to a tv, is that right. i have not looked in the stores yet, cause i wanted advice from here. what all do i need, i do not want to be swayed by a salesman.................... thanks i would maybe get two ; one for each place here, if i knew what would work and be economical.

2. Yankee1

Yankee1 Well-Known Member

I have bought cameras from x10.com for the price around are good.

3. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

We bought 2 cameras after our house was broken into. I think we got them from radio shack. The cameras were not that much but buying a seperate "thingy" to switch from one camera to another was, and we never could get it to work. We went with this system because we could use our regular tv, I just switched it to my "video" channel and I've got a view of the driveway. We have since bought a small used tv and have it hooked up to that and have a vcr with a 24 hour tape in the basement. I only use that if we will be gone for a few hours. I have one camera under the porch pointing at the house and garge doors, and one above the garage door under the eve watching the driveway.

My dh did have a nice camera system bought from Sams club, for about $300, but that was several years ago, might be less now, came with 4 cameras and a split screen monitor so you could watch all 4, or just one, also had microphones, but this was when he owned a store and wanted to watch for shoplifters. If this is for a shop I would think it could be written off on taxes :D

Carla

4. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

X10.com will have most anything you want.

5. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Could a webcam work? I suppose it would need to be hooked up to a computer...Might be a cheap way to go....02cents

6. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

www.x-10.com

We use several for horse foaling and such. They work from the barn to the house about 200'. I use the x-10 eagle eye motion decetor and universal remote to catch movement.

mikell

7. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

x.10 are the people who saturated the Web with pop-up ads. I'm sure there are equal products out there. I would look at the X.10 products to find out what is possible. I would NEVER buy from them - as far as I am concerned they are the moral equivalent of spammers.

8. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Sams club has a monitor and I think three cameras for about $200. My brother bought on for his store and it works great.

9. kjerckie

kjerckie Well-Known Member

X-10's look good, also Northern Tools catalog (northerntools.com) has a nice selection. That is going to be my present that I get myself for Christmas.

10. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

11. jst_country

jst_country Member

If you want outdoor sercurity you need a camera that is rated for outdoor use.

12. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

A security camera just shows whats happening in the field of view... you'd still need an alarm system.

cheers,

13. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

Harbor Freight Tools has an inexpensive outdoor rated security camera for less than X-10. They put it on sale for under $30 every few months.

I agree with Don Armstrong, I would never buy from X-10 because of all the popup ad spam and spam email they support. I do not support spammers by buying their products, or recomending their products to others.

Bob

14. kjerckie

Thanks BobBoyce,
    There is a Harbor Freight about 30 minutes from me. I'll be checking them for the cameras. I never even thought of them for that.

15. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

The x-10 scan be used with a computer or tv and can e mail picks if needed thats what we do with our horses.

mikell

16. BobBoyce

kjerckie, the weatherproof security camera is on sale now at Harbor Freight Tools for $29.99, talk about timing. I just received my mailer yesterday and took a look at it this morning. They are Lot No 47546 and the sale is good until Dec 6th.

Bob

17. kate

kate Well-Known Member

yes, bob, i found that this morning. now this is a dumb question, but o.k. so it is hooked up to tv, we want a record of the stuff that went on during the day. nobody can sit in front of the tv all day and watch for burglars :). how does it do that? is their a film, tape or what??? told you i didn't know nothin about these things! :))

18. BobBoyce

You connect it to a VCR recording in extended play with a T-160 tape for up to 8 hours of recording time, or a T-120 tape for up to 6 hours recording time. If you want more than that, you'll have to either buy an extended period recorder (slower turning, poorer quality video), a time lapse recorder (which captures interval frames), or connect it to a video input card and burn the video to CD or DVD with a computer.

As you can see, capturing the live video image to screen is one thing, storing it for later playback is another. Most banks and convenience stores use time lapse recorders that capture one frame per second or so. While a bit more technical, you could set up a motion detector to automatically start the recorder for timed intervals.

Others may have better suggestions.

Bob

19. kjerckie

Yippee, I'm giving Habor Freight a call tomorrow. If they don't have one, I'll order this one. Thanks BobBoyce.

20. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I would stay away from anything from X10. I would stay away from wireless too as they can be viewed by anyone with the proper equipment.

I use black and white IR cameras so I can see at night. Add some supplemental IR light to the area and they work even better. I use external IR sources instead of regular security lighting. I can see what I need to see without having to worry about light pollution and the bugs that lights attract. Personally I have always thought security lights just helped thieves do their jobs.

Color cameras are nice and I may put up a couple. Everything I have is black and white now. I use the standard Sony CCTV monitors, multiplexer and a couple of different video recorders (a time lapse and a regular).

Quint