Securing Employment in a New Community

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JanO, Sep 7, 2004.

1. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

I posted this in CS Families, then decided to copy it over here too.... :)

This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm curious so I'm asking... How many of you were able to secure employment in the area that you are homesteading in, before you made the move?

My hubby and I have been trying to move to our place in WA for over 4 years. But, we still have kids, ages 15 & 13, and because of them my hubby doesn't want to pull up roots and make the move without haveing a job, with benifits, lined up. I understand his reasoning...and I know he's just trying to keep some sort of security for the family, but I dont' see how anybody can find suitable work without at least living close to where the jobs are. Employers, at least those that I've spoken to, want to interview people that can start immediatly, and that are close enough to meet with them in person.

Hubby is in radio communications, and I'm a real estate broker. I know I can find a place to hang my hat anywere, as long as I have a license to work in that state... but I can't count on haveing work until I'm there to actually do the job. I keep telling hubby that it's ridiculous to keep putting off the move over this. That when we get there it'll all work out... but he's stubborn so it doesn't look like we're going anyplace soon. I guess I just want some input from others that have made a big move and find out how you all did it.

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

In our case hubby got laid off so we had to chose between moving on to our land three hours from our house in town or selling land and keeping house. We chose to sell house and put a modular on land. Took hubby about a year to find a job with benifits, he worked for temp agency tell he found some thing. Washington it is hard to find good jobs with benifits My uncle has been looking for about two years now, but he is almost sixty so that makes it harder.

3. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Your thinking is correct a person needs to be in the area to get a job. Employeers look ascant at folks looking and "saying" they will move to the area. Really sounds like he doesn't want to move at all. The alternative is he should go to where you want to move on his vacations and nail down a job or just take time off his present job and go get another.

4. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

JanO,

I found a job in Cleveland while living in Chicago. Granted, I found it on the internet and I work I perform is related to internet infrastructure. DW wanted to live closer to her parents and I was happy to accomodate if possible.

To minimize disruption, I moved 6 months ahead of my wife. She had projects she wanted to finish at her job and it also provided some extra security if my new job didn't work out.

I think you can do some preliminary looking before making the move. I think it will take longer for your husband to find a job but it will probably take longer for you to build up a real estate income.

As usual, just my 2 cents.

Mike

5. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

Ditto what you are saying...My impression is that Jan0's hubby doesn't really want to move to the country. Could be because of different reasons and most of them valid.

He has fears that he can't get something As Good as he has now.

Men have this thing, perhaps it is wisdom to a certain extent, that they will hang on to the familiar because they can deal with that a lot easier than the unfamiliar.

Now, I have felt strongly for years that we should move to the country and hubby always said that was what he wanted but when push came to shove, he would always figure a way out of it.

Right before hubby had congestive heart failure, I was still praying about it and I felt impressed to put the money away for a down payment. So I saved up money. I found a place. He said it was 'my deal' so 'I made the deal'.

He didn't like it until he had congestive heart failure. Then he praised it because if it hadn't been for buying the place we would have ended up homeless.

His 'benefits' were a joke! They wanted to back out of paying them and then covered it, but the benefits ended before he got disability. Then they wanted us to pay back his benefits! LOL Yeppers, a great big joke!

Thank God we got that fixer upper that hubby didn't want!

I convinced him to get it for a rental property, that's how I got him to agree to it. Once we had the property, it didn't matter if he like it or not, it was ours. I told him, 'Honey, we can come down here for rest and relaxation once in a while, it will grow on you!'

All the while, I am coming down and cleaning the place up.

He thought I had bought the ugliest place in the whole world at payments under $300 a month. Hey, it's almost payed for and we won't need two incomes.

It's wonderful to buy a home you can pay off in 5 yrs.

6. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

We took the big leap.

We had saved and scrimped and payed off our house in Seattle. We made sure we were totally out of debt. Then we found some property that was much cheaper than what our Seattle house was worth and just made the jump. Hubby was able to find a job near here in Bellingham in about 4 months.

He was just recently laid off, but hey - the propery's paid for and the cidery is breaking even. This is the sort of thing savings acounts are for. He's actually thinking about just hanging out a shingle and doing consultant work (computer hardware support).

It's scary to make the jump to a whole new place. It's scary to make your way into a new community and find a new job. My experience has been that the rewards are very much worth the risk.

7. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

When I first moved to the midwest from CA, my husband came 3 months early. He stayed with some friends in the area and got a job. I stayed at home, kept working and did the packing and moving.

He was able to save a lot of money up since he wasn't paying living expenses. If the friends weren't there, he could have rented an apartment and we still could have made it.

Our thoughts were that he could check out the job, get the insurance going before I left my job with the benefits. It worked out ok, but we were both committed to the move.

Jena

8. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

In my case I got laid off. I probably could have found work where I was, but I was tired of the old Rat Race - so, I moved to where I had started to buy some land for retirement. Found a job about 10 days after moving here; stayed with the same employer about 7 years, then became medically retired.

9. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Consider this option. You seem like the more mobile of the two. Perhaps you should move to the area and rent a small place while you get established in real estate. Husband and kids can visit and, while there, husband can look around for work. If it bombs, you can move back to where you are at now. Benefits I see is he keeps working and keeps the benefits available. You have a chance to scope the area, including places you might like if he does decide to relocate and can find a job.

Your kids are large enough to pretty well be on their own with your husbands supervision. In fact, it might be an opportunity for them as well. Put them in charge of all household duties. One week one does everything but cooking and dishes while other does cleaning, laundry, yard, etc. Between the two, basically everything you do now. Next week they swap duties.

And, I suspect, when your husband visits (or your visit home), it will seem like a mini-honeymoon. When my brother was in the Navy he did several six-month deployments. S-I-L said she missed him, but boy did she like that first week back. After that she was ready for him to deploy again.

Ken Scharabok

10. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

JanO-- Real estate here in Western Washington is booming, so if you have succeeded in the real estate profession before, you should do just fine here. Can't really speak to eastern Washington.

For what it's worth, I ran scared for many years--just like everybody else--about the insecure job market. What changed my attitude was moving into a position where *I* was the person doing the hiring. I've probably done more than 50 interviews in the last three years and can honestly say that most of them could have been terminated within the first couple of minutes if I hadn't felt the need to be polite. Despite all of the information out there about how to land a job, it's amazing how few people are able to put together a minimally presentable package. You wouldn't believe the number of job applicants who send in resumes with glaring typographical and grammatical errors, who address a letter to a prospective employer using the employer's first name, or who hand-scrawl the address accross the envelope. Similarly, you wouldn't believe the number of applicants who manage to get an interview and within the first five minutes are asking about time off or whether the tongue stud is going to be a problem.

Oh, I forgot about this one. How about the applicant whose resume came with a packet of political literature on "forced circumcision"? This guy apparently thought it was important for me to know where he was coming from.

The lesson for me was that employers have an equally hard time finding good employees.

Please don't anybody take what I am saying as a commentary on your own situation and efforts. I happen to be in a part of the country that--despite constant rhetoric to the contrary--is thriving with economic opportunity. I know that times are really tough in many areas of the country, and that even really good people are finding it hard to find and keep a job. And I know the situation is even tougher for people whose skills are not widely transferrable.
    But hopefully my observations from this side of the fence will provide a counterpoint to the message implicit in all those scare statistics about employers receiving 100 applications for every job opening. I don't see any reason why you and hubby should not feel excited about your move and optimistic about the prospect of landing jobs.

Good luck!

11. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Our family made the move to Western Wa 30 years ago. We planned it all out. DH took an extra job for a year before and we saved every penny of that money. Then DH came up to Bellingham and did a job hunt. He had a few leads already. When he got a job we moved. We had 3 little boys and I was a stay at home mom so having a job to come to was a high priority for us. The money we got from our house we bought some land. We bought and sold land several times until we had made enough money to buy this place. As someone said, the real estate market is booming here so you should be able to find work, the rest of the job market is still a bit sluggish. I can see your DHs point. Its scary to be without a job and watch your savings dwindling. You said employers want someone who can start immediately. I assume they would expect a new hire to give at least 2 weeks notice at their old job, could DH make the move that quickly? Maybe leaving you to tie up things at your present place. What about school for the kids? Do you want to move during the school year? Or maybe you could get a job before the move, would DH be o.k. with that.? Could you manage with one income for awhile? Would you be able to get good benefits with your job if DH is out of work awhile? May be if you can get the details ironed out DH will feel better about the move.

12. bergere

bergere Just living Life

JanO,

We are moving out of state because DH could not find a job "In" Washington.
    Good Jobs here are tight and very hard to find.
    Your best bet at getting a job in WA state is trying one of the Temp agencies.
    Most have contract jobs for 6 months to a year,, but at least it gets your foot in the door.

I understand how scary it is to jump to a new place.
    Am in the process right now.. this place is sold and Escrow closes on the 29th of this month,, and the new place we bought closes on Oct. 1st.. if all goes well.

The best of luck to you.

13. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

I have to go along with the Temp thing. It's the only way I've been able to find work. Unfortunately they are all contract jobs with no benefits. But at least they do provide some income while waiting for something better. Does seem that full time employment with benefits is getting pretty hard to find.

Nomad

14. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member

15. Big Sky Country

Big Sky Country Well-Known Member

Employment is very hard to find in Washington. My BIL lost his job 2 months ago and he was there for 20+ years. Unemployment rate is high in both Oregon and Washington.

Depending on where you are going to go in the state, prices are high too.

Where at in Washington?

16. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

I've moved elsewhere a number of times without a job waiting for me. Got a small rental ahead of time by requesting info from the chamber of commerce several months in advance. They sent me a rental magazine and I found a place through that.

Then I scrambled and applied for everything I could find. It's easier to find the job you WANT if you already have a job, is what I've learned. Then I called or stopped in everywhere I REALLY wanted to work about once a week. It took about two months each time which I didn't think was too bad.

You just have to go for it sometimes. Just do it, as the Nike slogan says. I've also had kids, so I know how scary it is, but I felt if I waited, who knew how long it would take.

Employers want you to be available and are more apt to hire you if you are. I'd say, get going. Daylight's burning.

17. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

Big Sky our place is in the olympic foothills just about as close to the Grays Harbor- Mason County line that you can get without actually being on it.. In fact it has a Montesano address, an Elma phone # (we've had the phone turned on for a while in case there's an emergency while we're up there) and our services such as electric, emergencey dispatch, etc.. all come from Shelton.

Anyway, I guess I should give you all an update.. you've all given me so much to think about and consider... and believe me, we are thinking about everything. ;) You have no idea how much your input has meant... and how much I'm going to drive you all crazy the next few months. :haha:

Last night DH came home and told me that it looks like he's going to be laid off at the end of the year. Big company cutbacks, and that sort of thing.. :( After 28 years at the same company this is not what he wanted, but they've been dropping hints about it for a while so it's really not too much of a surprise... We sat down and discussed all our options and pretty much decided that we're going to make the move. I've been playing with the numbers concerning our home here in Calif. and I'm sure we can get a good price for it, although I do want to fix a few things first. If we clear as much as I think we can, that will give us house money for our place up there.

I also spoke to a mobile home dealer today and she sent me some very interesting numbers to look at, some floor plans and such, that I feel comfortable with.. that is, assuming that the contractors don't rip us off too much. :rolleyes: In the mean time, we already have a small one room cabin, and a camp trailer on our land, a well, power, and a lot of determination so we can live there while the building is taking place. Our plan is to pay cash outright for the house and site prep, with our proceeds from this house so we won't have a mortgage to deal with . If we dont' have a house payment, our living expenses should be relatively cheap. Especially if I can get a big garden planted in early spring, and at least a chicken coop and milk goat, or cow rather quickly. Keeping this in mind DH could then look for work and check out the temp. agency's. I can get busy working also. Odds are that I'll go up before DH to get my licensing done, and find an office to hang it in. He can finish the sale here, and come up with the kids when it's closed. We really haven't discussed all the details yet... it's just an idea on my part. :eek:

We haven't told the kids yet, but I suppose we'll bring them up to speed soon. DD, who is 15, is going to flip out because I know she wants to stay here. DS may be a little more open, but lately I really have no idea what's going on in his mind. :confused: I spoke to my older DD and SIL last night also, and she said, "Mom, I think God has decided that you've dragged your heels long enough so now he's giving you a kick in the butt!" I just love the way she puts things... :haha:

Hope you all have patience with me, and thanks for all your words of wisdom.
    Jan

18. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Isn't it neat how life works out? Good for you guys. It WILL work for you.

19. CarolinaBound

CarolinaBound Well-Known Member

Ever see Robert Kiyosoki and the rat race? Dh had a good job, but he had to run faster and faster to just stay where he was, and it wasn't worth it. But we couldn't stay in the area unless we had a job equal to or better than that job (if equal I would have had to stop homeschooling and gone to wrk) so we scanned the net and found a ton of jobs that dh would qualify for.

Flew down, found a little 7 acre farm, sold the house, came back, and the owner of the farm wanted out of the contract. Decided it must be God's will (and it was because the more I think of it, the more I don't like that farm!!)

Now we're on a 5 acre farm, which really is pretty jokey, I wish we had more land, but ...... anywho, it took awhile to find our place and it seemed prices just kept going up. Then a snafu with getting our phone, so no net for almost a month. Dh goes back on the web, and the jobs are gone!!! When he'd been applying to the Home Depot etc around here and no one was hiring, we weren't worried because we figured he'd find something on the web. No. It's been since July, and we are getting concerned. With some of our diminishing savings, dh got retrained for another trade. He's completed it, and now between Frances and some fine print we didn't know about, we are getting kind of worried "will he be licensed or did we just waste $$.

In the meantime our 2 daughters got sick with strep and pink eye. Cost $300 between Dr and pharmacy. TOld the Dr we were unemployed, new to the area etc, didn't make one bit of difference, over $100 per child for the visit.

But the sun will come out, tomorrow!!! :)

Please check out our website!

CarolinaBound!
    www.watkinsonline.com/bennett

20. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, with your DHs layoff, it looks like the descision has been made for you.Good luck to you all and welcome to Wa.