Secret money

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by farmmaid, Sep 20, 2004.

1. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

My mom called it "pin money", that little bit of money stashed away for whatever. I can remember her telling me that it was always nice to have a "little pin money" just for yourself. I do have a little "pin money" just for me. I give riding lessons and hubby says that money is for me. It is nice to have a little money just for me, money not waiting to pay a bill. This is NOT a huge amount, just mine for "whatever"...Joan :)

2. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, my wife and I each have our own little cash stash, our "rathole" accounts.

3. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

My rainy day money never seems to make it to a rainy day.To many bills to pay lately! :(

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

i am guilty of stashing a few bucks also, was religious about sharing all when first married, then years later found out hubby like to stash a bit so i started to also.mostly use it to buy stuff for DH though!

5. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I had a little stash, but my stove died, so now I have no money (but a nice, new stove) :) Time to start building it up, again.

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

All the money I make is mine. All the money he makes is his. All the money the farm makes goes back to the farm. We split up the household bills and we each pay our share.

I think that is how it should be. There's no "secret" money, but I have no idea how much he has and vice versa.

Jena

7. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, I have a little bit (about $100 now), but hubby has a lot cause he earns a lot more than I do (well, that's what he says). I always thought a marriage was a partnership, but found out real quick that it's one of those 20/80 partnerships. Guess which side the wife is on. I look to the young women to live better, but I see they are going down the same road. It's still a male world.

8. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

When I saw this heading I first thought, heck yeah!

But what I have is a stash of cash for us both so that we don't have to go to the bank or have one of those infernal ATM cards. Since I am home more, I make sure we have $$ available for us both here at the house. That's our 'secret' money. Ready for either one of us. Only thing secret is where its kept-and that isn't probably all that secret.

Then there's the cash I keep in the car so that if one of us-not usually me ;) runs out of cash on the road, they can have some to fall back on.

That's as secret as it gets.

9. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

No secret money here either. We have always shared everything, even when we have nothing. The only thing dh ever bought that i don't know where the money came from was my engagement ring, and I'm not going to complain about that! The only money I have that he is not allowed to touch is the Christmas money, but he knows how much there is. Christmas money comes from all the money I find while doing laundry, got to have some motivation there :)

Carla

10. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Since the children arrived, all my money is measured in negative numbers. It is always a thrill to find change in the laundry. If I find a coin in the parking lot on the way into the Handy Way, I feel like I've won the lottery. The ex grumbled about having to pay his share of any bill, so I don't miss him a bit. The only smart thing I did was to keep our bank accounts separate or I would be rooming with Martha Stewart soon for writing rubber checks!

11. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

well we dont keep money from each other all the extra money goes to rebuilding our house so its paid for when were done i dont need much cash anyway

12. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Herself handles all of my money and her money. My retirement is more than enough for us to live on and operate Wolf Cairn Moor. She has my checks deposited in the bank automatically. Her checks from teaching are her own and she does with them what she will.

She puts a few hundred dollars of "my" money in my billfold every month but as I only go to town every month or two, I don't spend it. Even when I do go to town I just drive and don't get out of the car unless I have papers to sign at the lawyer's or a doctor's visit.

I guess what I'm saying is Herself has her own money and "stashes" some money in my billfold for when she needs extra cash.

We live quite simply and there are times when I wonder where all the money goes; I can cipher and do guzintas. :haha:

What do I care about the money? I have every toy I could want, my varmints, my land, my health, my kids, and of course the Granddarlings.

13. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I place 15% of my income into the "I get paid first account because I earn the income fund" This "My" money is what I use for falling back on or establishing new income stream investments.

14. Peg

Peg Well-Known Member

I have a grand total of $7 in my stash right now.
    It seems like anytime I find coins or other small amounts I put it in the kids' piggybanks. Maybe they'll have enough to buy a car someday (probably by the time they're 40 at this rate.)

Peg
    http://www.cookinkids.com

15. kz

kz Well-Known Member

DH and I each save some extra money on the side for something we want. It's not a secret but it is "individual" money to be spent on something the person really wants that doesn't come out of the household money.
    Even though I make more money than he does we pool all our money and this is just something extra. He likes to shop and buy more stuff than I do and as long as it's reasonable there is no problem.

16. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie "You have to be odd to be number one." Dr Seuss

No secret money here. All of it is put into the checking account where I pay the bills...DH doesn't know how much we make, or where it goes and he says he never wants the responsibility. Money has a habit of slipping thru his fingers. After the bills are paid some goes into the savings, and some to each of us.

Stacy in NY

17. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

However you do your finances, be sure that each of you knows WHERE the other's accounts are and their numbers. Death, strokes do happen, usually unexpectedly. If someone has an account they are unwilling to share this info about, you have other problems on which I am unqualified to address.

Sandi

18. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'all,

Yup, I keeps a couple 'r three hundred, tucked away, in my wallet.
    DSW knows I always have "Money". She knows my wallet, is
    "private". As is her purse. I would never invade her purse. It is
    her's. I'd feel very guilty, invading her privacy.

Anyway, you never know when you might "NEED" it,
    that back-money, tucked away.
    There are occasions that arise, when you have that
    "once in a life-time opportunity" to pick up something at
    a very special price. It's just that little something you
    really want. If you miss it, it is gone.
    No second chance, ever.

There are "crises" that arise, on occasion, when you just
    need that "back-money", to get your "b*tt, out of a jam",
    or a tight spot. And, you'd better have it.
    Folks, It just makes Life so much easier, to plan ahead,
    for the little "contingencies, that arise". It just makes the
    Waters a little smoother, on the "River of Life".

Yup, there've been times when I didn't think I could
    afford to have even a dime, in reserve. It's best to get
    yourself through those times, quick as you can.
    Little financial reserves, tucked away, can be a Life-saver.
    Plan ahead.

19. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Old John--you give such sound great advise.

Younger people today - seem to think your advise only goes into effect much later in the game. That the only thinh necessary for emergencies and must have ites is the little 2" x 3" rectangle of plastic known as a credit card. Then after you have a real emergency like losing your income (aka job)...and can't make the house payments/car payments/vacation condo payment...to heck with the $10-20K credit card payments -- you declare bankruptcy and then and only then will you ever have to be concerned with silly stuff like paying cash for "stuff."

Marlene

P.S. -- Back to the actual thread topic...I use to think how wonderful my husband was because he has his paycheck direct deposited into the shared checking account -- none of that his/hers/ours stuff for us there is only one checking and one saving account. I take care of expenses, bill paying, and he's absolutely the best about asking if any larger then average purchase is okay before making it. That was before I figured out...he might have the better end of the deal...he trust me to do all the money worrying and he just goes out and lives his life. He also knows me very well...he knows I'll always find something to worry about so might as well make the best of it! He's not perfect but he's close.

20. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I kinda agree with Jena. What DW makes is hers and what I make is mine. We each contribute an amount to the household. The farm accounts and honey business accounts are kept seperate. The only place we diverge from Jenas approach is that we do let each other know about accounts and (general) amounts so that if something happens to one of us the other isn't searching around.

Mike