Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious who in here is a second generation homesteader. We had gardens when I was younger and gearing up to start again next year. Also I logged with my father which I continued to do most of my life. Here is a blog about being a second generation guy.

·
hillbilly farmgirl
2,398 Posts
I guess you could call me second generation...perhaps...

Grew up on a working ranch, cattle and reining cow horses, stepdad trained horses. Mom also was raised to horses, around chickens, we all built the little farmhouse I grew up in. I raised a few bucket calves, I remember getting up way early before we had to leave for school to feed my calves.

Mama has since moved to town but is still totally pro-homesteading and into alternative housing,alternative energy and low income accomodations. Of my brothers and I, only I seem to be interested in carrying the torch. And carry it I will!!

·
Premium Member
41,056 Posts
All of my reat grandparents were homesteaders, as were both my grandfathers. my father did not homestead his farm but I grew up with homesteading practices. Home canning, gardening, fruit orchard, berries, rabbits, pigs, chickens beef, calves, learned to sew on a singer treadle machine, making quilts out of scraps from the rag bag, cooking on a wood cook stove and and supplementing the coal furnace with a fireplace. Pretty much just simple living in general. Left that all behind for the city life when I got out of high school. Seven years later moved back to the country and have been living the good life ever since. Taught my kids how to do it too.

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Some are born into it, some choose it, others go thru life struggling to find what they truly love until they finally discover it. My parents left the country for what they believed would be a better life, so like baldness and poison ivy and big ears, country blood skipped a generation until I made my way back into the briars.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess you could call me second generation...perhaps...

Grew up on a working ranch, cattle and reining cow horses, stepdad trained horses. Mom also was raised to horses, around chickens, we all built the little farmhouse I grew up in. I raised a few bucket calves, I remember getting up way early before we had to leave for school to feed my calves.

Mama has since moved to town but is still totally pro-homesteading and into alternative housing,alternative energy and low income accomodations. Of my brothers and I, only I seem to be interested in carrying the torch. And carry it I will!!
I read a bit of your blog. What I read i like. Concise accurate writing and not long and drawn out. Very nice. I will be sure to revisit it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some are born into it, some choose it, others go thru life struggling to find what they truly love until they finally discover it. My parents left the country for what they believed would be a better life, so like baldness and poison ivy and big ears, country blood skipped a generation until I made my way back into the briars.
In my area there are many vacant farms that people left for the city thinking life would be better. Many of the farms are not being repopulated.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I do not consider myself a homesteader I think the moniker is silly. I am about 5th or 6 generation farmer although I'm considered part time I put in as many hours or more on the farm as I do at my day job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts