searching for home again...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Einstin, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Einstin

Einstin New Member

In an effort to search for home I found this forum and hope that some of the real people that live in this world can help me. It's a lengthy story but I won't put anyone to sleep telling it. Instead I'll keep it short (for now anyway).

Basically, being raised in a small town and having relocated 3 times now over the last 17 years to several metro areas my wife and I both crave to get back into a more peacefull life and a simpler time. We both grew up with the small town atmosphere and southern hospitality in a rural area of Mississippi. Currently we are "stuck" in a rural area of Minnesota on what originally seemed like a good deal. To hear the pitch and claims of a country house on 3.5 acres between 3 lakes sounds good but it turned out not to be our dream.

I have been searching the web now for the last 2 weeks for property that didn't cost a fortune preferably in the foothills of the Smokey Mountain chain in Eastern Tennesee. So far all I have come up with was real estate brokers promising heaven at a premium price and promoting tourist attractions. Not what we am looking for at all. Their are plenty of real estate companies listed on the web but they always promote the grand sales that they are hoping to move and make the higher comissions. I'm hoping to talk to some real world folks out there that can help me with my search for some land that we can do something with and create our home. I do still have to work for a living but that can actually be pretty portable considering the fact that I work on the web as a successfull designer and developer.

Ideally my search would be for a piece of heaven somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-10 acres (mabey 20 if TPIR) situated in the country of course preferably in a part of the Eastern Tennesee Smokey Mountain chain. Of course I do have visions of things like mountain streams nearby feeding our water supply and all the other "perfect" situations possible but I am indeed a realist and know that the odds of me finding all of that in one nice neat bundle at a low price is pushing it pretty hard. I don't want to get involved in any zoning, association or community restrictions either. Had my fill of those in Florida and never want to deal with that mess again.

Anyone have any suggestions to offer or any folks from Eastern TN care to speak up and help me in my search? If you know anyone or even know a decent and honest broker I can get in touch with it would all help. I'm hoping to leave Minnesota come next spring right after the ground thaw.

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Have you ruled out the area that you grew up in? If you are looking for a place that feels like home, that would be a good place to start.

Land prices are pretty good in Mississippi.

Or, you could move into a rented place in an area that you like, then drive around until you find a place that you like.

Or, look up the Century 21 offices on their website. I have found that in Kansas, at least, they do not promote the Yuppieville subdivisions at the expense of the other properties that they offer. www.unitedcountry.com is also a pretty good place to look.

Tennessee is lovely and friendly, but if you want a place that feels like home, then you might not want to rule out Mississippi entirely.

3. Tractorman

Tractorman Well-Known Member

Or you could comprimise and buy my house in North Alabama and be close to both!(it is on the barter board is interested)

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

A little over two years ago my husband and I, driven by a desire to get out of the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, started looking for 30-40 acres just east of Memphis. Guess what? Land prices in that part of TN were sky high (we looked at acreage that cost $25,000 per acre...ouch!).

We ended up in MS on 96 acres and couldn't be happier. The property we found is situationed so that no one will ever be able to build around it, resulting in a maximum number of TWO neighbors. We have three ponds and a huge creek that forms the northern border of our property. We have deer, coons, possums, turkeys, etc. etc. Lots of trees and wildflowers abound too.

When we were starting our search I got in contact with a local realtor that I had found online. Three times we made weekend trips to see properties he had lined up for us. He was terrific...he always had a full day of viewing planned for us and often had someone meet us at the property to tell us everything about it.

I would suggest you plan to do the same. Find a good local realtor who is eager to find just what you want and can keep in touch via email. Our realtor would email me listings of properties so we could view them online. We would then let him know which ones we were interested in so he could arrange for us to see them.

I also like the idea of renting in the area you think you'd like to live. That way you can get a feel of the locals, the nearest town, etc. Good luck in your hunt!

5. daileyjoy

daileyjoy Well-Known Member

To locate land in that area at a good price is rare and if you do find it you pay out the nose for it. It is in very high demand as well as W.North Carolina. You might consider Ark, MS or Ga you can find better deals there.

Jennifer

6. Tinker

Tinker Well-Known Member Supporter

Try checking out

www.realtor.com

You can search by city or map, and it has an area where it will allow you to select the # of acres and price range you are interested in. Most of the major realtors have there listings posted there, so you can look at a lot of different possabilities without having to commit to an agent. (until you are ready to view it, of course)

7. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Or it may be you can just keep your eyes peeled for a pretty patch of unimproved acreage that you could buy now and build on later.

We bought our patch of land ten years ago. Stayed in the city, paid off the land, paid off our debts, built up a little cushion. Now it's time. We're building our house and hope to be moved in before Christmas.

If you don't have to have it all right now, it gives you more leeway.

8. Einstin

Einstin New Member

Right now are intentions are to be out of MN by next spring. Sooner if I could find what I'm looking for and work out the funding. Ideally, we would even go as far as to find a property (with a clearing or not) and locate where on the property we would want our home to be. Drop in a well and/or septic system if needed and move either an RV or a trailer on it as a temporary home. Since it's just the two of us it's alot easier on the moving and space needed. Looks like I may have found some areas that have potential around Bristol that deserve further scrutiny as well.

Tinker, thanks for the realtor link. Actually helped me locate some possible agents and smaller cities in the area I'm looking for.