Sea Magic

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Buckrun, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

The add says:

“The Best Seaweed for ALL Your Plants!
    Contains cytokinins and 17 amino acids to encourage stronger, lusher growth, more sugars production in fruiting crops, and increased blooms!”

A guy I work with used this last year and had a fantastic garden. Mine didn’t do to good. We had to much rain. I have been using it this year and things are growing like wild. I have never grown corn successfully before this year. This year my corn has 2 & 3 ears on each stock! Last night I was picking corn to make come corn relish and found several that were double ears. Plus they had another ear or two on the stock. :D

[​IMG]

Here is a link to the Sea Magic. Let me know what you think of the stuff. Is it good or should I think twice about using it again? I don’t want to use it if it is some kind of bad chemical fertilizer. I think it is an organic but don’t know. I am going to read it closer later.
    Steve

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/...Page=textsearchresults&RequestType=NewRequest

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I've never used it, but it is supposed to be organic dried seaweed concentrate. Did you use the algoflash along with it, like Parks recommends?

3. Buckrun

I added Mircle Grow and some Epsim salt (SP?). I didn't use the algoflash. It looks like it may be a good thing to add. I see now that the Sea Magic is organic.

I now want to read up on mircle grow. Where does it fall in the organic relm of things?

I am having trouble reading today. Went to the eye Dr. this morning and had my eyes dylated. :confused:

Steve

4. Cyngbaeld

It is my understanding that miracle grow is 'non organic'. i've always been big on organic. But, I've come to believe that sometimes a small amt of the non organic is better than no fertilizer IF you are also incorporating organic materials into your soil. Using the non organic fertilizers alone boosts plant growth beyond what the soil is able to naturally support and strips trace minerals. These need to be replaced on a regular basis to keep the ground productive. Otherwise you will need more and more of the chemical fertilizer to produce the same and even diminishing results. I am a firm believer in composting all the waste organics that you can and using them in your garden. I prefer to sheet compost because it is much easier on my back than building piles and turning them. I have used some miracle grow, but I've had the same package for over 10 yrs, if that tells you how much I've used. I normally use it if I have too much brown and not enough green to compost or need a quick boost for a plant that is yellowing.

Just wanted to say I've enjoyed seeing your pictures. You have a lovely 'stead.

Kim

5. Buckrun

I had never thought about how the non organic fertilizer works. But now that you say it I think back I can see the diminishing results. Part of my garden has been a garden for over 40 years. When my wife and I were remodeling the house I had a dump truck load of horse manure and a load of top soil added to the garden plot. I didn’t have a garden that year. I just tilled it under about 4 or 5 times all that summer. The next spring I planted a garden that was great. Last year I didn’t have any compost or manure to add. It was a very wet year and things didn’t do very good. This year I have had the chickens and have added a lot of that along with some chemical fertilizer. I have also used the sea magic and miracle grow. I am going to try to get away from the chemicals but it is hard to keep tract of everything. I don’t have many trees in my yard so I have been thinking of driving along areas that have a lot and the residents rake the leaves to the road and clean them up haul them home and till them in. I have done this before for my garden at the old house.

Also thanks for your kind words about my "stead" I am proud of what we have been doing and like to show it off. :eek:

Steve

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Yea, miracle gro is just another chemical fertilizer. I also used the seamagic this year. I can't say if it was different or not. I had a wonderful garden this year, but we had good weather too, so... I also used compost, and on my corn, chicken manure. I don't use any chemicals on my garden at all. I'm afraid I might kill some beneficial fungi, ect.

7. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

This year we used Sea Magic as the only fertilizer in our greenhouse and we had beautiful lush green plants that were ready two weeks early for transplanting. Our garden has done great this year...yes, we have had exceptionly good weather for So. Mo. with rain everyweek which is something that just doesnt happen in July/August usually. So, will use it again next year and see if this is a fluke or not! But the price is right for the huge amt. a pkt. makes. It really works great on house plants,too. Got some 4" potted house plants at the supermarket...gave my daughter one and kept two ....mine have been repotted three times and her's are just sitting in the pot...only difference is the Sea Magic. DEE

8. Buckrun

I have a row of sunflowers that I sprayed about half of them with the sea magic. You can tell which got sprayed! There is a big difference. I would post a picture but the weeds would make me look bad. I have been busy the last couple weeks with caning and haven't been weeding. I have been waiting until I get teh produce out and then I will till it under. :eek:
    Steve

9. Cyngbaeld

Steve, you should let the weeds grow for a while. After the plants are up pretty well they do better with some weeds. The weeds pull up more of the nutrients that are deep down and open the subsoil for improved crop plant roots.

10. stonefly71

stonefly71 Well-Known Member

I use to work for mirical grow (dysart) is there company name here in Ohio which has been bought out by Scotts here lately I was A mixer there the 3 things that are in it are pot ash ,ureia ,nitrogen , or one other that I can't seem to remember it's been over ten yrs since I worked there plus a nice blue die that staines every thing I use to make 1500 lbs to 3000 lbs a batch and would make 20 batches a night. Then it was sent to be baged and boxed up I also made the rose grow stuff and davey tree food for trees.