scratchy/itchy goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by stacygoats, Apr 29, 2006.

1. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

Does anyone else have goats with dry flakey skin in the spring? Seems like the same thing happened last year here, even the young (2-3 months) ones are scratching like crazy.
    - I have BOSS in my feed mix, but should I give them corn or vegatable oil as a grain topper?
    - I don't see any evidence of lice, but my eyes aren't what they used to be. I've got pour-on cattle dewormer and was thinking about lining them all up and pouring on a dose.(Purple strip down white goats, should look really appealing.) This should take care of any external parasites, but I'm not sure if it's safe for the 2-3 month olds. I've got a little bit of the lice powder left, would this be safer for the kids? Is lice infestation more common in the spring or do goats just get dry skin after shedding their winter coats?

I've got nothing planned for the day, so dealing with this is on my "to do" list. Too bad DH has to work or I'd recruit his help, but guess it will be me and the kids.

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know what would be safe for babies but I can tell you that my goats do this in the spring too. Last year it cleared up with lots of brushing and BOSS, but this year we couldn't seem to shake it. I didn't think it was lice either but since nothing was working I lightly dusted their backs with seven dust and brushed them out. It was gone by evening! I guess it was lice... or something :shrug:

3. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

Pour on cattle wormer isn't even safe for adult goats. Goats have thinner skin then cattle and faster metabolisms. I'd stick with sevin dust for adults and cat/kitten flea spray or powder for babies. repeat treatment in 7-10 days.

"Goats have thin hides (relative to other ruminants, such as cattle) and very fast metabolisms. For these reasons, this writer recommends against the usage of back pour-on wormers for goats. Several producers maintain that their goats have sustained permanent neurological damage because back pour-on wormers were used on them. Since there are several classes of wormers available , "an ounce of prevention" is worthwhile. "

4. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

Well I got sidetracked today and worked on a pen for the chicken instead of rounding up the goats.
    I bought the Cydectin Pour on last year because that's what multiple folks in this area recommended, but they give it to goats orally.
    Sharron, Is this stuff safe for goats if given orally?
    All of my goats were recently dosed with Ivomec this spring. I probably don't have enough dust for all of them, maybe I'll have to head to TSC again.

5. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

I've read you can give cydectin (moxidectin) orally to goats, but since I don't use chemical wormers, I have no idea what the dose is. You probably should check with someone in your area who has used it for the proper dosage.

6. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Well-Known Member

Some of my goats get flakey dry skin through the winter. Spring time comes around.. they get a good bath, I take the clippers to them and the flakey skin is gone. Plus afterwards they look like they are ready for the show.
    Dr.Who

7. mommagoose_99

mommagoose_99 Well-Known Member

Every year my piggy goat gets flakes and itches when she sheds her winter coat. As soon as we have a warm day i give her a bath with medicated dog shampoo. She isn't too fond of getting wet but as soon as I lather her up she shuts her eyes and chews her cud. She loves the bubbles LOL I rinse her several times and when she dries I brush out the dead hair. The flakes are usually gone after that. You may want to try it.

8. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I have this problem. My 2 year old buck started with flakey skin, then to patches of hair missing. He's still loosing patches of hair and such, and I've gotten to thinking its mange. the hairloss started behind the front legs, and spread. Now my other 1 yr old buck has it too. They live togeather. :( The thing is, I've dusted them each twice. the 2 year old buck has had two bathes. I've clipped his hair short. Now I'm out to get some ivermectin, and I'm gonna give them 1 cc per 50 lbs for a few days. Hoping it will go away then, if it is mites. Otherwise they are acting healthy and normal.

9. mowarren

mowarren Active Member

had a goat field day a couple weeks back.... the vet that was there said not to give cydectin pour on orally.