Scratching Post

Discussion in 'Goats' started by JA in WA, Sep 4, 2005.

1. JA in WA

JA in WA Member

My goats rub against the fence and the barn mostly when I'm next to them. Otherwise they are poking their heads throught to get to the other side. My question is, I know that cattle will use a scratch post but will goats? Does anyone out there have goats that use an old cattle duster scratch post?

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

funny you should ask, i am getting supplys togeather to make a scratcher for them. im gonna use old shelving, which is going to have wooden dowels sticking out of it. then im going to mount it somehow to a tree or thier shed.

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I've seen a suggestion to use old, rough doormats, nailed to a strong wooden fence, or the side of the barn, because they like to rub down the length of things (yeah, like fences!)

One of mine has found a nail head sticking out on the side of the barn, and uses it as a face scratcher. I was gonna pound it in, but she uses it every day, so I left it for her.

Meg

4. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

there always has to be at least one far fetched suggestion.. so I am gonna be the one!

ever seen a street sweeper? of course you have.. well from time to time those huge sweepers have to be replaced (rumor had it they throw them away)... I saw one once used for goats and they loved it! Pretty easy to mount.. put a pole in the ground and a huge screw and it is mounted. :D

5. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Mine were rubbing agains the fence too. That stopped when I placed a rather large rock in their pasture for them to play on. Now they rub against that instead of the fence.

6. goatchops

goatchops Well-Known Member

well, my kinder and alpine i used to have(i moved so i had to sell themTT) liked rubbing against logs and such.