Scrapeing Mud off Shoes?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shadowwalker, Jun 4, 2005.

1. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Didn't know where to put this really so I chose here. I was in a particularly lazy mood so when I came upon a rake laying by the tool bucket. It had the tines up. I had mud on my shoes and when I stepped on the rake to push the handle up and into my hand, it slipped off and the mud on my show bottom came off around the side of the tines. Cool I thought and went ahead and cleaned my shoes off, and yes I did pick up my rake. I just thought I'd share this with you all. shadowwalker

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Thanks! I now know what to do with that extra rake head I didn't throw away. I'll mount it on something for a shoe scraper.

I have a brush type shoe cleaner by the door for guests. Family takes shoes off. I have one 'friend' who scrapes her shoes off on the steps to the house! Maybe this will help with her!

Meg

3. caryatid

caryatid Well-Known Member

We do that too....but then again, this is our back porch:
    http://www.woodcycle.com/gallery/images/pc300070.jpg

:)

Where we live, our yard is heavy clay. When it rains, it just cakes on your shoes 2-3 inches deep. Our porch is the envy of the neighborhood.

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

OMG!!!!! :haha:

I WANT that porch! Is that a Slide!

She could scrap her shoes off on those steps all day long and it wouldn't bother me one bit!

I'm JEALOUS!!!!! :haha: :haha: :haha:
    Meg

5. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

That is the coolest porch I've ever seen. I'm not your neighbor and I envy it too!

6. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

What IS that porch made of?

Shane

7. caryatid

caryatid Well-Known Member

*hee hee hee*
    Sorry- I didn't mean to hijack the thread!

I'll try to answer everything at once. :)

Yes, that is a slide. :) I have 4 kids and am the "safe house" for my neighbors (in an emergency, they send their kids to me)...so my house is always filled with small creatures ranging from 1-10 years old. When we moved to this house, we took apart the swing set, but the wood was warped so we couldn't out it back up. We figured, what the heck?

The porch cost about $100 in materials- the rest was recycled stuff. The steps are made out of industrial grade plastic. My friend Mark found it at a surplus store, so I'm not sure where to get it. The squares are about an inch wide (no high heels in our house!) and the plastic is about an 1-1.5 inches thick. The plastic sheets were originally used on large carts hauling barrels of liquids ( I think it was used in a laboratory).

The one downside is that it isn't all that comfortable in bare feet. :)