scrap prices

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MELOC, Mar 28, 2006.

1. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i took some cans to my middleman today and got $.60 per pound. i am in south central Pa. that is the best i have ever done on cans with this guy. he said that China is buying everything. I don't know if Lou Doubs would approve of this "selling off of America" but i am enjoying the scrap prices.

2. Clifford

Clifford Love it, or leave it...

That's great. If only everyone knew they were giving money away everytime the recycling truck makes their stop at your house. It's great if you have the space for storage, and a handy dandy pick up to transport it. Steel, tin, aluminum, copper and brass are all worth good money and I save it all...

3. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

Yes, scrap metal prices are high here as well. I sold aluminum for several weeks for $.60 and this week it is up to $.64 lb.

What the scrapyard dealer told me was that China is buying everything and melting it down on big ships just 'offshore' and then selling it back to the US at a huge profit. Of course the bad by products from melting the metals is just dropped off into the ocean...more pollution and contaminents for our shores.

4. Whut

Whut Member

Yes scrap metal seems to be the thing of extra money for those who have the time and patience to strip the plastic off copper/aluminum wire, save pop cans with the rest of the alloys, I am wondering though if anyone knows where and also if it would be feasible to melt down the aluminum to smaller ingot sized, ie. like to melt down small scrap pieces of aluminum door or what have you then melt this down even smaller to transport it to the scrapyard for extra beer money or whatever? Any ideas on this, suggestions and does anybody have experience along these lines, in this way of recycling?

5. knuckledragger

knuckledragger Well-Known Member

What is scrap iron going for? I just bought a piece of land that has probably a ton to a ton and a half of scrap iron laying around on it.

6. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

The bone yards are paying $149 / ton for parts cars here. That's about 50% higher than it was a year ago. Maybe they're taking them apart and selling the metal to scrap yards....

7. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmmm! Maybe I should be saving my tin cans and take them to the scrap yard when I get a big load. Thanks for the tip. Chris

8. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

the 60 cents per pound was for aluminum cans. i haven't been over for a while, but i heard it was 65 cents now.

9. sammyd

sammyd Well-Known Member

Stainless just dropped like a rock. We were getting over 1.20 2 weeks ago. Last week .50.
    Haven't checked on much else. The stainless scrap goes for doughnuts where I work.

10. leecofarm

leecofarm Well-Known Member

thats great. i know a little beer joint a couple of miles down the road with piles of metal junk mainly all over it from old farm implements to broken down vehicles. maybe i can convince them that its time to make the stuff go away

11. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Unfortunately the high scrap prices are pushing theft to the limits. Farmers in eastern Kansas are losing the electric lines going to their irrigation wells about as fast as they can get them replaced. The crops often suffer as a result of the theft in addition to the copper loss.

I had a car stolen a few months back and it is no doubt in the scrap pile---even though illegally without title, a bill of sale, etc.

Many are cashing in as we probably all should be doing, however not at the expense of others.

12. Pops2

Pops2 Well-Known Member

Tarot
    i am pretty sure they aren't smelting metal on ships, the rest may be possible but more likely they are using it in their own industries.
    whole thing makes me think of how Japan was our biggest buyer of scrap metal from 1935-1941.

13. bill not in oh

the legit bone yards here won't accept vehicles without a title now for that very reason

14. palani

palani Well-Known Member

http://www.manufacturingnews.com/news/04/1104/art1.html

Simple answer. Economic war.

15. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

16. wwubben

wwubben Well-Known Member

Unprossessed scrap is selling for $130 a ton at Behr metal in Mason City, Iowa.

17. bill not in oh

I was born in Mason City! Spent my early childhood in Nora Springs.

18. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

Here in Denver --- aluminum cans were .72 on the 15th of July. They were .89 on June 30th... prices are rapidlly dropping.

We took in out scrap on July 15th - only 15 days of scrounging in the alley's of Denver a few night and "processing" it later at home while watchint the news - made an extra $230 in 15 days, not to shabby.

Someone asked about steel (tin cans are steel as well) - It's not worth our time to load it in our truck to take the scrap yard at $10 a ton.

19. beowoulf90

beowoulf90 Well-Known Member Supporter

The last price we got about a month ago for steel/scrap iron and sheet metal mixed was $6.00 a hundred lbs, that come to $120 a ton.

The last prices that I got for alum. cans, was about 1 or 2 months ago and was $.72 a lbs if you had over 200 lbs, $.70 a lbs if under 200 lbs.
    I also go $.60 a lbs for cast and extruded alum.

20. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

Any idea about copper as in pipes and fittings?