Scrap metal $$

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by minnikin1, Dec 21, 2005.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

anyone recycle scrap metal recently?
    What the going rate where you are?

2. Donna-6

Donna-6 Well-Known Member

Don,t know about scrap metal:but cans are going for 53-cents, took some over yesterday!

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i have some junk cars and a guy stopped buy to talk me out of them. i squeezed him until he told me that scrap steel was going for $3 per hundred lbs. which is %50 better than i have ever seen it. the last time i sold aluminun cans i got $.43 or $.47 per lb. copper scrap form electrical installation is a good scrap sale. copper is around $1 per pound. my recycler has even started to buy electric motors but the price seems low at about $.15 per pound.

4. Hubby'sCityGirl

Hubby'sCityGirl The 'Other'-Yvonne

here in KY, we have seen several mobile homes scattered across our county -de-sided, lived in but no siding... we suspect it was for the sale of the metal...

5. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Last week aluminum cans were 58 cents a pound, the highest in a long time. A month or so ago a fellow was stopping at farms trying to buy old farm machinery and old cars for scrap--I got rid of a couple of piles of junk cars. Was worth it to have him haul them away, and I got almost what I thought the salvage yard would pay me.

6. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Meloc:

$3 a hundred weight comes out to $60 ton. That sounds very low. I thought it was up to something like $200 ton or $.10 cents a pound. The scrap yard I go to changes $.25 pound for scrap iron so that would seem somewhat in line with it.

7. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

I have disposed of over 500,000 lbs. of scrap metal in the last 6 years. I tried to have my employees take it to the salvage yard. It turned out that I was paying them more wages than the metal was bringing. I now give it to them and let them take it to the salvage yard on their own time. It is cheaper for me to give it away than to sell it.

8. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

well if I lived near you i woud make a career out of your generousity... and cart off all you have to give.

lol

9. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

conservit (or some form of that) is the name of the largest recycler i know of in my area. that is where the figure of $3 per hundred came from i think. i used to take loads of scrap over when i had a decent truck and a great need for cash. i used to tow old junkers over filled with scrap, soup cans and u name it. i used to get $1 to $2 dollars per hundred. that was 10 or more years ago. the heavy older cars would come in at about 4500 lbs. fully loaded, lol. i think the catalina was a bit heavier.

the bummer was having to remove the gas tank and then the wheels at the site.

i had a fellow stop by two weeks ago and wanted to buy my "collection", oh my. they are like batteries to me. he offered $50 bucks a car. he makes money scraping the precious metal/components like catalytic converters and radiators etc. many places are buying components to rebuild as well as to scrap.

10. e.alleg

e.alleg Well-Known Member

I hauled a few loads of scrap metal to the recycler. In the end the gasoline, time, and wear and tear on the truck cost me more than the couple hundred bucks I got from the deal.

11. Outlaw9

Outlaw9 GO VOLS!!!!

I took some number 1 copper off about 2 weeks ago it went for 1.40 a pound. I bout shat myself on seeing that. That was in Coeburn Va in Southwest Va

12. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Two days ago, while on a pallet search I did see signs at a salvage yard offering to pay $6.00 per 100 pounds for #1 iron, $1.60 per pound for copper, and $.58 for aluminum, a lot more than I was ever paid many years ago. Right now the prices paid are at very high level.

13. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

Six water heaters at Miller Scrap in Peoria IL. brought 45.00$ for me last Sat.

14. daytrader

daytrader Well-Known Member

Scape alumininum is going for .47 a pound Clean Sec 1 aluminum is .68 a pound and all IBC's over 1000 pounds a whole .71 a pound.

Copper even number 3 was over 1.60

Lead at .58

Electric motors at .02

These prices are from Ace Metal in St Louis. That is were I deal. They are also the wholesale rate for scap dealers.

15. diehard47

diehard47 Well-Known Member

moopups, why you lookin for pallets,for the wood or for the pallet itself?

16. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I disassemble the pallets to make many common things needed around here, the ones from glass wholesalers are 8 foot long and very usefull. The smaller ones make fence pickets, can be overlapped to make building rafters, ect.

I suggest you avoid the ones with an oak center timbers, they are very hard to disassemble.

17. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Interesting article on the side effects of rising scrap prices

http://www.cleveland.com/newsflash/...ss-5/1137734676291670.xml&storylist=cleveland

18. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

There was article in the paper here two days ago, saying the city had lost thousands of dollars because someone was taking the valves off the park watering systems, probably for scrap metal sales. Eight or nine in a couple weeks had disappeared. Might be time to take in all the scrap metal around here and clean up the place! Jan in Co

19. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I just called to inquire of the vehicle scrap metal price here locally.

The price quote was $69 per ton. The gas tank and tires had to be removed and the title provided to ensure ownership.

20. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

this will get me $4 per 100#, the big AC unit will bring $5 per 100#

alot of work for @ 50 bucks and 2 gal of gas.
    if that.

but, its like picking up free money so who can resist? :sing:

[​IMG]

they are giving $6.50 a hundered for car rims... no tires.
    there is a pile of those in there too.