scrap metal question?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by All country, Aug 4, 2006.

1. All country

All country Well-Known Member

Do any of you haul or buy scrap metal? We have some around here and it's time to get it cleaned up. DH and oldest son have been busy getting everything cut into 3 foot sections and getting it ready to go. DH noticed that the price they can get for it and drastically dropped over the past couple of weeks. He was talking to a neighbor and neighbor thinks we ought to hold on to it a few weeks. He seems to think the price will go up again.

I have been watching and suspect it will continue to drop for a while, but am not an expert in scrap. Have any of you that deal in scrap seen anything to give you an better opinion on what you think it's going to do?

2. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Yes we have noticed the price drop on copper and aluminum also . Hard to tell if it will go up again. Prices are still high enough for us to haul it in especially the copper.

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Prepped iron is what you have you need to call the yards and see what the price is on prepped iron. It will generaly be a few cents higher than just run of the mill scrap. If the pries are low Hold it as prices go up and down in A few weeks time. Later in the year like oct. It will be high. As when it gets cold out theres not enough folks bringing it in. And depending on how far the big steel plants are that will help fix the prices.

4. straight shot

straight shot Well-Known Member

my hubby is in the scrap biz. It's going down, was 180 a ton, this week its 140 for prp scrap. might be months for that high again. It's all supply and demand as in any other biz. Every one and his brother cleaned up his yard and cashed in on it, that's why it's going down.

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Bingo... instant junkmen that then disappear when the price goes down.

6. All country

What is prepped scrap? DH & oldest son are cutting all of it (cutting torch) into 3 foot sections. There is no other junk on it, such as plastic, glass, etc. Is that what you mean?

Straight Shot- where are you, that you can get such high prices for it? A few months ago it was $135. a ton here. Oldest Son got busy and cleaned out some junk from some farms around here. (farmers asked him to) He was able to make a bit then. We called today, one place told us $40. a ton. The other told us $60. a ton.

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Prepped metal means prepared metals, cut into the propper length and free of other types of metal - separated metals bring the larger prices. Mixed metals always payes less. Scrap yards that are serviced by train tracks do pay more in that transportation out of the yards is cheaper.

8. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Not sure what kind of junk you have.
    Im a bit ofa scrounger myself . If by chance you have an old rotary hoe the the hoe wheels sell nicely on Ebay. an average hoe has between 48 and 60 wheels .
    Last one I bought at a farm auction cost me $17 since then Ive sold the wheels from it for between $15 and $57 each as garden decorations. Have less than a dozen left .
    Didnt know the prices were falling on scrap though think short iron is still bringing $140 a ton here , copper $2.00-2.75 a pound, and aluminum $0.60 .

9. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

The prices in our MO area have fell a bit in the past couple weeks. I look for them to go back up though.

People are sure cleaning up there places. You see old washers and dryers and refridgerators, stoves, and lots and lots of old cars being hauled in for scrap.

We sold alum. cans three weeks ago and got .71 lb for them. They had been higher, but I thought that was still a good price.

Sure a good way to clean up around the place.

10. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

copper is 278 a lb here for number one and 260 for number 2
    junk cars 450 a hundred
    al cans around 75

11. mamastars

mamastars Well-Known Member

This week I took alum. cans, only got .50/lb.

12. PyroDon

Prices can vary quite a bit from one company to another
    We had two within 30 miles. When one was paying 25 cents a pound for cans the other was paying 50 cents .
    It boiled down to one being dishonest inaccurate scales, always trying to dock the weight, and paying under market. People got smart and this company closed.

13. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

"copper is 278 a lb here for number one and 260 for number 2
    junk cars 450 a hundred
    al cans around 75"

Were these prices $2.78/lb for copper, $4.50/100 ($90/ton) for junk cars and $.75/lb for alum. cans?

14. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

Just found my scale sheet from last thursday.
    #1 copper 2.70
    Brass 1.15
    non-magnetic SS .52
    magnetic SS .03
    lead .10

Got a call saturday from a guy wanting me to haul away a pile of steam radiators. I'w wondering if it's worth hauling. Anybody have a recent quote for Cast? I haven't messed with cast since I was doing plumbing 10 years ago.

15. PyroDon

If they dont leak they be great for building an outside wood/hot water heating system .

16. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

I think anywhere in the country you are being underpaid! The south tends to be a bit higher than most areas but Ive been paid pretty well in Portland OR too .
    Be sure when prepping that not only willl it fit in a 36X18X18 box but also that it is at least 1/8 thick....NO sheet goods!

17. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

what are these guys who have junk and a truck and a buyer nearby supposed to do? are they supposed to call someone else and take 30% less just to keep the little businessman happy? geesh.

18. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

"Be sure when prepping that not only willl it fit in a 36X18X18 box but also that it is at least 1/8 thick....NO sheet goods!"

I suspect that really depends on your scrap dealer. Check what their requirements are.

19. All country

Thanks for all of your replies.

The trailer is loaded and they're working to get the next load cut. They will take in 2 loads this week. Just to get it out of our way.

I think they will wait for prices to go up, to take the rest in. They may go ahead and work to get it all cut up while they have use of a cutting torch.

20. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

No thats the standard for #1 steel , what they pay the most for .
    You can sell other stuff but you dont want mixed lots because that will drive the price down.
    Around here you might have a load of 5 tons of #1 one at $140 a ton but if you have a single sheet from a wash machine surrond the entire load will drop to the $25 white goods rate