Scowers ??

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by David M, Dec 12, 2004.

1. David M

David M New Member

I am just geting started with cows. I just received a Jursey (4 days old) and a Housettn that is 2 days old. They both have REAL runny stools. I have been feding them 2 times a day like I was told. I am feeding them the Purina Milk Replacer. How much should I be feeding them? What can I do about their stool problem? It seems to be getting worse each time I feed them.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Welcome new poster, immediantly get some benifical bacteria into their milk, via acidophlis milk or yogurt, or any of the purchaseable mixtures from a feed store. You must stop the dehydration immediantly for them to live. I would recommend 4 smaller meals per day at first, streach their bellies slowley.

3. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

I agree, lots of yogurt in the milk, I've had good results with it. Antibiotics as a last resort if it looks like you might lose them. You can also get Kaolin pectin to firm the manure, it's a lot like Pepto Bismol.

4. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Also, keep in mind that Jerseys and Holsteins require different amounts of milk. A Jersey calf cannot handle the same amount of milk (replacer) of a Holstein of the same age because they grow differently.

If they are scouring, my first inclination would be to cut down on the amount of milk replacer in the water. Keep the total liquids the same but reduce the milk replacer. Keep doing this until they stiffen up, then slowly increase it. if tehy don't improve, electrolytes will help rehydrate them as well.

They did receive colostrum, correct?

5. David M

David M New Member

How much yogurt do I mix with the milk? Do I need to leave it out for a few hours first to ferment? Any special type of yoguart? The Holstein is not drinking as much as he was earlier. I have cut back on the amount at each feeding. I have been giving them the same amount per day just more smaller feedings.
    Thanks for all of your responces. Anything helps.

6. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi David - and what a balls up :eek: To begin with calves should not be taken off their mother at less than four days of age so you have a hard row to hoe with your Holstein.

Your Milk Replacer bag should have feeding instructions on it and has been mentioned, Jersey's require less than Holsteins but made up to the same level.

Your calves probably have got what is called White Scours. Take them off milk completely for one day but feed them at least 4 litres of electrolyte solution, gradually bringing them back to normal feeding over 2-3 days i.e. adding milk to the electrolyte solution. You can either buy an electrolyte or make it up yourself. Mix 4oz of glucose, half a teaspoon Bicarbonabe of Soda and 1 teaspoon of salt in 4 pints of boiled water and give them as much as they will drink. It isn't the scours that will kill them but the dehydration. Do you have a good vet? If not, find one and have a talk to him/her because they could be the ones that ultimately have the answer if your calves don't respond to normal treatment. Whatever you do, don't let it drag on as these little critters have little in the way of resources to fall back on and can die very quickly. Welcome to the world of animals :confused: It can often be trying, sometimes heartbreaking, a lot of hard work and sleepless nights but the reward is priceless.

Cheers
    Ronnie

7. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

I'd use 1-2 cups of yogurt, and feed it right after mixing.

8. dosthouhavemilk

Our calves are removed within a day if we have the chance. Our calf mortality rate for calves we get ahold of in that time is also close to none as well (I can think of two calves we have lost in the last five years and both were improperly formed). However, they receive mother's milk for at least the first four to five days because we we don't ship the first six milkings and usually hold the extra to feed up to the calf.
    We wouldn't generally sell a bull calf at less than four days old (though the sooner after the colostrum runs out a person buys them the cheaper we sell them for).

A calf can be removed from its mother right after birth (which is one way to fight Johne's) if it is taken proper care of.

Just pointing out that if the calf received its colostrum and a good start he should be able to bring them back around.

9. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Roseanna,
    You are quite right, a calf can be taken from it's mother immediately but only if it is going to be fed correctly with colostrum milk and not if it's going to be on sold and reared with milk replacer. In this country it is illegal to sell a calf under 4 days of age. This is one way of ensuring a calf gets a good start as the farmer is being forced to keep it so he may as well feed it properly.

I do occassionally have trouble with bought in calves especially if I'm having to rear them on milk replacer and I suspect the problem is stress as much as anything else. First the moving then the change in milk and this is perhaps borne out by the fact that calves born here and hand reared on cows milk thrive. I've not lost any bought in calves but it makes for hard work when they scour.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

10. dosthouhavemilk

We generally do not selling calves less than a week old and will keep a calf until the next Saturday if it is born on Wednesday or later. Though lately we have been keeping them longer.
    I work on another Jersey farm where they *sigh* have sent calves born that morning simply so they wouldn't have to feed them for another week but it doesn't happen a lot.

I like the idea of making it illegal to sell a calf that young.

We unfortuantely have to use milk replacer for our replacement heifers because we are having trouble withy Johne's currently....but would definitely prefer feeding waste milk from our cows to milk replacer. A couple more years of negatives and we will go back to it for our heifers. Cheaper and better for them.

I've noticed that bull calves bought from us (they are still raised on waste milk because tehy will be slaughtered before two years anyways) tend to scour when put on milk replacer at their new homes as well. It is common to receive a call from the new owner asking for input. I think a lot of it each calf needs a specific amount and it takes a little time to find that key amount for that calf. :)

Glad to hear you have luck.

I wanted to add that oddly enough, our one calf that it looks like we might actually lose her at this point, was with her mother for 5 days before she turned up. Mother's milk was bad that first couple of days and if we had the calf we would have thawed some good colostrum for it..but alas, we couldn't locate the calf. She'll be four months on the 22nd but doesn't look so good. :(