Scours treatment help please

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Stephen in SOKY, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

I've searched and read many posts here and still need an answer please.

3 week old bottle meat doeling. Developed scours, no panic, no surprise!

I'll take fecal in to check for cocci, and start on sulmet this week if indicated. However, I need to stop scours now to prevent dehydration. So, I need to know dosage for either (Hopefully both): How much liquid keopectate per pound of body weight and how often until scours subside? Same question for Pepto Bismol? No I won't use both at the same time, but need to make notes for future in case I only have one or the other on hand. Thanks VERY much for your help, Stephen

2. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I would not give the baby goat keopectated or pepto if going to start giving it Sulmet for the cocci also known as coccidiosis. If you are bottle feeding the baby goat you should be given in it bottle Deccox-M that helps prevent cocci in baby goats at this young of age. If you are given way to much milk it can cause the scours too. So make sure your not giving to much milk because given to much milk can cause the scours or bloat and you do not want that.

If your afraid your baby goat is getting dehydrated I would give it some Powerade, Gatorade or pedylite incase you need it to keep a baby goat from getting dehydrated. I have used that for a long time when I have a goat to come down with the scours due to cocci or food change. -

Remember Never use Imodium AD' to control diarrhea in a goat/goats because it can kill them.

If need check the goat for dehydration. Pinch the skin; if it snaps back into place, the goat is not seriously dehydrated. If the skin stays 'tented' like beaten egg whites, the goat is seriously dehydrated. Mix electrolytes or orally drench the animal to prevent dehydration.

Good Luck with your baby goat :)

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Never mind checking treat now ! Prime age. Cut back milk and add electrolytes if indicated.

4. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

What are you feeding the baby? If you are giving milk replacer, that could be your problem. Switch to either pasteurized goat milk or whole cow's milk. Treat with liquid sulpha and Diarsanyl. Diarsanyl stops the scours better than Kaopectate and I've gotten it either from the vet or a feed store. If giving electrolytes, I use the kind made for calves and give a bottle of that rather than milk for one feeding. Don't mix electrolytes and milk in the same feeding.

5. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

I think one needs to define "scours" first....as Allwolf said it may just be too much milk...cos some people call really runny poo, scours, when it isnt!! The kid may have just eaten something really green...it would be tasting all sorts of things now...sorry, presuming it is free grazing. I think it is too easy to reccommend "chemicals" to people when not quite all the facts are known. I am amazed at how many people ask questions like this on here...when they must have bought their goats from someone and be able to either ring them or someone they know with goats....a telephone call would be much easier and practical.