Scours help

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Momof8kiddoes, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Momof8kiddoes

Momof8kiddoes Well-Known Member

Hi all, still plugging away here. Got cow home yesterday and she has scours today..just making sure that is ok, considering the trip. Any advise for treatment?
    Mary F.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

If the color is normal manure color but just overly loose I would not be too concerned. She has had a lot of change and that could be the consequences. My beef cattle are on fresh clover and you would not want to pass the backside within 6 feet!

3. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

How old is cow, adult or calf, i would just make sure they get plenty of water and hay for now if it is grown, transporting does that to them .

4. Meadowwood

Meadowwood Active Member

I just read your other post about how much to feed the calf. You should feed it a pint of milk for each 10 lbs of body weight of the calf. If it weighs 50 lbs, it should get 5 pints which = 1/2 gal + 1pt. If it weighs 70 lbs, then it should be 7 pts. Divide the milk between the number of feedings per day. If the calf is a month old, it should be able to handle being fed milk 2 times a day. You don't have to go weigh the calf, just have a pretty good idea of how much it weighs. I would not dilute the milk with water. Have fresh water available at all times in a different container.

I feed my calves 6 times a day for the 1st 3 days (colostrum) and keep a good watch on them. If they do well after 3 days, I give them the same amount of milk, but cut back to 5 feedings for a couple days and then back to 4 and by the end of the second week they are at 3. Usually by the end of the first week they have gained some weight and I up the milk ration by about a pint. As they grow and start eating other feed, I make a dertermination to cut the milk feeding down to 2 times a day. It is still the same amount, but just at 12 hour intervals (right after milking the mom). By the time we wean at 2.5 months, the calf (Jersey) is usually about 120lbs or more and drinking 1.5 gal of milk/day.

Darlene