Scours and something interesting

Discussion in 'Goats' started by gccrook, Oct 16, 2004.

1. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

First, let me say thanks to all the great people here. I have mostly lurked here, and read and learned so much.

Two of my goats (a buck and a wether) had scours started last Wednesday morning. We immediately began treatment with some Kaopectate, probios and some nutridrench. Unfortunately, my DW had to do all this with the help of my DS (12). THey did great. The next day, both goats actually seemed worse. They would not eat and were literally squirting. We continued to treat, and on Thursday evening when I got home, I went to treat and observe the goats. I noticed that the wether started eating some dirt. I watched him for a while. After a few minutes, I pulled some leaves from a tree, and they both started eating a little. By friday, hey seemd much better, and on Saturday they were both back to normal.

I have never seen one of my goats eat dirt. I offer them minerals from time to time, but not all the time free form. They usually eat some of the minerals over several days, and then a few days later I will offer them some more.

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

If we don't keep minerals out for our goats, or ones high in copper, the girls will eat the red clay dirt we have here in East Texas. Esepcially when we dig fence posts! Goat mineral needs are high, in fact a buck and wether need little else but minerals, browse and good hay.

When was the last time the boys where wormed? Could they simply have gotten into something that upset their stomachs? A fecal sample to the vet is about 10$ here, would give you a quick answer to what went on. Continue the Probios until they are 100%.

Did you do any quick changes in a feed or hay? Check the water barrell to make sure it is clean, right now with all the leaves falling, make sure there isn't leaves building up acid in your water.....or, my favorite story, it wasn't a handful of leaves in the bottom of the water tank that I cleaned the sides with, it was a dead rat!! Look through the hay feeder for mold, also the grain and mineral feeders. Vicki

3. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

Thanks Vicki. I found out my wife was giving them a bucket full of bread the previous 2 days. We had been using some feed bread we got for the pigs as treats for the goats, and she thought she was supposed to feed them that. Strangely, only two out of 5 had the scours. Anyway, everything seems to be back to normal now. My DW is a great help to me, but she is still relying on me for the information about the animals. She is great at learning though. Again, I appreciate greatly the help I have recieved here. I will try to set up a free choice mineral feeder ASAP.