Scouring calves...

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Amymay, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Amymay

Amymay Member

I need some others ideas as to what to give scouring calves. I have been giving them Vit. B and Pen G and also a pack of Sure Gel with each feeding of 2 qts. water/8 ozs milk replacer. Any tried and true things anybody can share with me?? Sure would appreciate them! :confused:

2. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Mix your replacer with real milk until they stablize. Check for cocci.

3. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Cut back on the amount of milk replacer, but keep the amount of liquids the same. When they stiffen up, *slowly* increase the amount of milk replacer back up, while keeping track of their manure. If they get loose again, it is too much.

Jerseys, for insatnce, cannot handle the amount suggested on the backs of most milk replacers. The amount suggested tends to be based on Holsteins. Jerseys are quite a bit smaller.

4. tatanka

tatanka Well-Known Member

If it were me I would give them Spectram/Spectinomycin (pink stuff in a pump bottle for pig scours). You can get it at the feed store, TSC etc. It has never failed us. Give it to them a couple times. You can also mix 2 TBSP baking soda, 1TBSP salt and 5TBSP karo syrup in the bottle for a day or two. You should probably try to give them some Probios too if this has been going on a few days.

Marla

5. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

I meant to get back to this thread and forgot. I've been :nerd: reading up for our calf ( a jersey) and I wanted to post what DTHM already said. Could be your calf is getting too much to eat -- something that is easy to do when they learn how to ask for more :1pig:

6. dunroven

dunroven Well-Known Member Supporter

We just came through this with 5 little calves too. They are Jersey bull calves and got scours pretty quickly. We normally feed them 2 quarts of milk in the morning and 2 quarts in the evening. Instead, we took them off of all milk replacer and gave them 1 pint of Gatorade and 3 pints of water in the morning and in the evening, for one day, and by the next morning, the scours were gone and then we gave them the 1 pint of Gatorade for the next morning feeding and started the milk replacer that night. Then went back to normal feeding the next day and it cleared them right up. We also, with one of the calves tried a solution called Resorb that we got from the vet supply for $1.98 a packet and it took 8 packets to do this, which was a lot more expensive than the Gatorade and just seemed (IMHO) to take a lot longer to cure the problem than the Gatorade and water did. Both sets are doing fine, but I like the Gatorade trial best! Just my opinion.

Valorie