Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is intended to be FYI, not the beginning of a political discussion. I put it here in GC so the most people will see it.

The Supreme Court of the US just ruled that law enforcement can't confiscate a person's guns without a warrant.

The gun grabbers have tried to get around the 4th amendment which says that the government can't seize citizen's property without a warrant by claiming that seizing guns is permitted under the "community caretaking exception".

They have used this argument to pass many laws that allow the government to confiscate citizen's guns without a warrant. All of these laws should be ruled unconstitutional and stricken. Red flag laws should be rescinded. There should be no more confiscation by edict like happened in NO after Katrina.

Lest you think this was a ruling by the conservative majority on the court I want to point out that it was a unanimous ruling. Maybe we are going to enforce the constitution as written.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
I only half heartedly read the news about this some time back, but it seems there was a story about a guy in the midwest, Illinois maybe, that came home from a bad day at work and got into an argument with his wife. She called the police and he left. They arrived, she let them inside, they saw a rife next to a gun safe. The husband came back and was informed the officers were taking the rifle and the contents of his safe pending a mental health evaluation. He could refuse and they would then force the safe open and take them anyway.
It cost him months and money to get his firearms back. Whether the product of red flag laws, the creeping hands of big brother, situations like happened in New Orleans during Katrina, or Boston during the Kettle Bomb, or simply a bad relationship, there needed to be a little more balance dropped on the due process side of the scale.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I am really pleased, but also surprised that this was a unanimous vote with the makeup of the Supreme Court. It helps assure me that political influences are absent in the highest court, which also helps restore my faith in the rule of law a tiny bit.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
Clarence Thomas wrote the opinion however Samual Alito wrote a concurring opinion that we should note:

"This case also implicates another body of law that petitioner glossed over: the so-called “red flag” laws that some States are now enacting. These laws enable the police to seize guns pursuant to a court order to prevent their use for suicide or the infliction of harm on innocent persons. They typically specify the standard that must be met and the procedures that must be followed before firearms may be seized.

He observed, “Provisions of red flag laws may be challenged under the Fourth Amendment, and those cases may come before us.”

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Kind of playing semantics when, in about half the states, they can get a warrant because of anonymous tip that you are a danger to...well, anyone...and confiscate your weapons. Red flag laws for the win in an end run around that Supreme Court decision.

·
Shazbot!
5,456 Posts
Kind of playing semantics when, in about half the states, they can get a warrant because of anonymous tip that you are a danger to...well, anyone...and confiscate your weapons. Red flag laws for the win in an end run around that Supreme Court decision.
Alito addressed that in his opinion. That will also have to be litigated.

Reactions: Pony

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
and Samuel Alito wrote-

He observed, “Provisions of red flag laws may be challenged under the Fourth Amendment, and those cases may come before us.”
Let's hope so. Meanwhile, your confiscated weapons sit wherever they store them.

·
STILL not Alice
20,197 Posts
Believe it or not, there are those who care not one whit about our constitution, our rights or anything else.
I wish you were in jest, but... <sigh> The number of those usurping our Constitution seems to be growing exponentially.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
Beleive it or not, there are those who care not one whit about our constitution, our rights or anything else.
And there will be those, many, who will not care one whit about unconstitutional laws and edicts. The government knows that. Rock will meet Hardplace.
It would be much easier for anti gun zealots in office and society to make inroads in their mission if the American public was a little fatter, wealthier and slept better at night.
A shrinking middle class, the perpetual cycle of riots and weakening of LE and lack of trust in our government has led to yet another spike in firearm sales.
Since they continually probe the wall for cracks and footholds, I wonder when they will figure out it is easier to disarm your friend than your enemy.

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
And there will be those, many, who will not care one whit about unconstitutional laws and edicts. The government knows that. Rock will meet Hardplace.
It would be much easier for anti gun zealots in office and society to make inroads in their mission if the American public was a little fatter, wealthier and slept better at night.
A shrinking middle class, the perpetual cycle of riots and weakening of LE and lack of trust in our government has led to yet another spike in firearm sales.
Since they continually probe the wall for cracks and footholds, I wonder when they will figure out it is easier to disarm your friend than your enemy.
I have confidence these politicians today have no idea who they are representing. They are so out of touch with reality and think they are godlike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts