Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.msn.com/world/scots-decide-whether-to-declare-independence

http://news.msn.com/world/scottish-independence-referendum

yall watching this....heres just another reason to stay stocked up.if you lived there things might get real tight if the vote goes to break away.it could be a short term spiral as corps pull out...seen on news were some of the bigger banks etc might pull out.i can see two heads of this coin...large corps that all they do is drain people,land etc of wealth and resources.scots could come up with their own currency and keep money more local and see more small business but i can see this going bad and then getting real bad.

one thing for sure if i was there i would rest easier knowing i had my homestead up and running and producing goods.

this is just showing global masses are getting fed up with banksters and big global corps and large govt not listening to its people and doing as they please.

i say they will break away....even to get this to vote in my mind there has to be a huge amount of populace pushing it...we shall see...hold on...ripple effects coming..maybe.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Can you fill in a gap on how and why this came up after the UK has been together for 300+ years. the media is not explaining who started the question of separation and the longer history of the Scots and England. It just seemed to come up overnight even though I heard it has been a 2 year process. I understood that Ireland was the country fussing for separation. I guess I have been focused more on the middle east.

I wonder how the assets will be separated. Moving a nuclear facility base has to be hard. There are not enough hours in the day to keep up with world events.

·
Registered
157 Posts
http://news.msn.com/world/scots-decide-whether-to-declare-independence

http://news.msn.com/world/scottish-independence-referendum

yall watching this....heres just another reason to stay stocked up.if you lived there things might get real tight if the vote goes to break away.it could be a short term spiral as corps pull out...seen on news were some of the bigger banks etc might pull out.i can see two heads of this coin...large corps that all they do is drain people,land etc of wealth and resources.scots could come up with their own currency and keep money more local and see more small business but i can see this going bad and then getting real bad.

one thing for sure if i was there i would rest easier knowing i had my homestead up and running and producing goods.

this is just showing global masses are getting fed up with banksters and big global corps and large govt not listening to its people and doing as they please.

i say they will break away....even to get this to vote in my mind there has to be a huge amount of populace pushing it...we shall see...hold on...ripple effects coming..maybe.

I'm in Scotland right now. It's not bad at all. Apart from the media, no one is really talking much about it. For most of the people, they just want their own country. 5.5 million Scots and 50 million people in England. Even if every Scot votes the same way on something, they're far outnumbered by their neighbors to the south. They just want to control themselves, and rightfully so. RBS won't go anywhere. It won't be nearly as bad as you're making it out.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if they move nukes out of scotland that alone will be costly.setting up a new govt will take time and money.deciding if scotland assumes part of the u.k. current debt.other people see scots getting free of manipulators in charge very well could ripple to other parts of u.k. and around the globe.

wasnt there lots of fighting over this very thing before they united 300yrs ago....people want to control themselves...PTB want to control masses.

time will tell how this goes down...if i was there i would be quietly topping off preps the past bit knowing this was coming to a vote.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Can you fill in a gap on how and why this came up after the UK has been together for 300+ years. the media is not explaining who started the question of separation and the longer history of the Scots and England. It just seemed to come up overnight even though I heard it has been a 2 year process. I understood that Ireland was the country fussing for separation. I guess I have been focused more on the middle east.

I wonder how the assets will be separated. Moving a nuclear facility base has to be hard. There are not enough hours in the day to keep up with world events.
One thing to remember is that they might be afraid of the downfall of England. With so many Muslims moving their and the way they are demanding that way of life.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Voted DOWN!

50 something NO to 40 something Yes with 85% voting.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Just as well. The people driving the independence movement were a bunch of hard core leftists. Scotland would have been in a bad state very shortly with them in control.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Imagine asking a population to vote for a change in the most basic unit of government without having a plan on what happens next. It's like touting buying a brand new car but saying you are going to put in better brakes as soon as you buy it. But you haven't even designed the brakes yet.

The separatists might yet achieve their goal if Scotland gets more autonomy promised and people actually see that there is a plan that might really work. And not just a change from one thing they find objectionable to another they find objectionable.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
This isn't a new idea in the last couple years. Read an interview with an old man (80's or 90's) and he said he'd been working for independence for many years. He was excited hoping he'd see his country free before he dies.

There was a map posted on FB showing the countries that England used to own along with the dates those countries gained their freedom. It's amazing that many have made the break in the past 100 years, some as late as the 1980's and maybe into the 1990's.

England has been rapidly losing it's grip on many countries of the world. I see no reason why Scotland shouldn't be independent too.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Well, they have to present some viable model of what freedom actually looks like.

It's like those people I see driving around with "SECEDE" bumper stickers on their cars here in Texas, but yet they exist on their FEDERAL social security benefits.

Do you think that the independent nation of Texas will still honor those federal debts and promises? Fat chance.

So really what they have is a poorly thought out meme. They want freedom, while they also want the government to pay for every jot and tiddle of their existence.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Heard a well presented bit about England's bankers badly need the Oil rights of Scotland, when the bankers are talking collateral for Big money loans . . .Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The voting age is 16 there.
may as well vote for free ice cream.

·
Banned
8,092 Posts

OH, well, maybe not.

Must be kind of humiliating that your ancestors would die for freedom but today you won't even vote for it.

Of course I got no room to speak ... I'm from Texas.
and moved rather recently to TEJAS? :hijacked:

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I was sure scots would vote yes and I wish they would.
Contrary to the worry, Scotland is rich in resources and
have a well developed economic reputation. They could probably
stay afloat merely with whiskey exports.
Great Britain benefits more by keeping the grip over scots .
It's possible that economic blip downward if scots separated,
but I honestly believe it wouldn't create any chaotic conditions.
In canada a few years ago it was Quebec wanting their own
Country status. They decided it was better to be within canada.
But again , if they decided to break away to be North America 's
French speaking entity, than economic accommodation eventually
is worked out like it basically ended up between the Czech
Republic and Slovakia.
I understand, elkhound, where your thinking lies in surviving
Political upheaval, but more worry comes from external
threats like populations pouring into n. America from places
like Deep South America through Mexico because those
countries can't, or don't want to try making life better for
their own citizens.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Scotland already has a parliament which deals with devolved matters, the UK parliament deals with reserved matters. Therefore there is already a system of government in place.

And the voting age for the Uk is 18.

·
Registered
13,304 Posts
Scotland already has a parliament which deals with devolved matters, the UK parliament deals with reserved matters. Therefore there is already a system of government in place.

And the voting age for the Uk is 18.
16 and 17 year olds were allowed to vote in the referendum.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts