score!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by lonelyfarmgirl, Oct 21, 2006.

1. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I accidentally talked myself into stopping at one of those once a year antique flea markets that I drove past the other day, and after much arguement and bartering, I got an old iron corn sheller for 25 bucks, attached to a catch box too. :p

Unrelated to that, I decided I wanted to dig some dandelions and try the whole coffe subsitute thing, well, upon reading about it in carla emerys book, the book said you dont use the main root for coffee, only the side roots, which are like hair. Seems like you could dig up a whole feilds worth and not get enough for a cup. has anyone done this?

2. moonwild

moonwild Well-Known Member

Hi,I always use the whole roots. my grandmother taught me how to make D. Coffee as she made it during the depression.I pickand peel the whole roots in the fall.
    . Chop them up into 1/2 inch pieces. Let dry completely and quickly without direct sunlight or artificial heat. I put them on screens. .
    After the dandelion roots are completely dried (about 8-10 days), place them in a cool, dark place until you are ready to roast them.
    To roast the chopped and dried roots spread them out on a cookie sheet and roast in the oven at 300 F for about 30/35 minutes. Stir the root several times during roasting--more frequently if the root is closely packed. Don't over pack the cookie sheet. Dry til brittle but not burnt. It might take a couple of batches before you get the hang of judging when they are done.

Grind in a coffee grinder and store in an airtight container. I use old coffee tins. You can add to coffee to stretch.I think they taste more like Postum that real coffee.
    moonwild :baby04:

3. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice. I've got dandelion for days and eat the leaves. Didn't think about using the roots too.

4. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

I have a pound of dried leaves and a pint of tincture i can't use cause i am allergic to dandylions :( grumble grumble. Found out after i made the tincture. Got intense severe itching and redness of my eyes an nasal cavaties.

IF anyone is interested in them, let me know. Just pay for shipping and their yours!

5. lonelyfarmgirl

moonwild, so I should not dry them on a dehydrator? if not, where? outside under cover? or in the kitchen over the fridge? and what is postum? what does it taste like? thanks

6. moonwild

Hi,
    Yes..... you can use the dehydrator.It works great. :)
    I just ususallly have mine full of other stuff...lol Postum (brand name) is a coffee substitute sold in jars. I do have a recipe for that too.
    HOMEMADE "POSTUM"
    1 qt. fine ground wheat
    1 pt. coarse ground corn meal
    1/2 c. molasses or dark syrup
    Mix the wheat, corn-meal, and syrup. Rub them in the palms of the hand until it is well mixed. Put it into shallow baking pans and brown in a slow oven until it is a rich dark brown. It must be stirred often for even browning. Don't try to hurry the process or it will burn. When it is done, cool and store in a sealed jar or canister. Use like any cereal coffee. I use 2 tablespoons coffee for each cup and a half of water. It may be boiled or it can be made in an electric coffee-maker.
    With hot milk this makes a nice evening drink.

7. lonelyfarmgirl

sounds kind of gross. I hate instant coffee. Is the dandelion coffee have to be used like instant, or do you put it in a coffee maker like regular coffee?

8. moonwild

I grind the roasted roots and use them like regular coffee.I perk the homemade Postum in a regular coffee pot too.Neither taste quite like "real" coffee, but are okay drinks as long as you aren't expecting them to be like Folgers...lol.My mormon neighbors like them.

9. lonelyfarmgirl

Thanks, I dont care for folgers, so it should be ok. Ill be digging this week. I let you know how it turns out.