SCORE! Greatest windfall ever!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by homestead2, Apr 24, 2005.

1. homestead2

homestead2 Member

A truly great friend of ours belongs to FreeCycle a couple hours north of us. He called to say "Have I got something for you." We are known, among our friends, to be the "All Time Preppers, Of All Time!"

A FreeCycle member gave to him - and he, then, gave to me: OVER A TON & A HALF OF PREPS!!

Sealed in 5 gallon buckets with nitrogen: Rice, soybeans, soup beans, wheat, barley, triticale, corn, TVP, millet, rye..... it goes on and on.

Then, in gallon sized metal cans: every freeze dried thing you can imagine. Tuna, ham, shrimp, beef, chicken, green beans, chicken & noodles , ....it goes on and on.

I have kept 2 years of preps on hand ever since 1999, but have always had an uneasy feeling that I might not have enough for everyone who might turn to us for help in a EOTWAWKI scenario. I cannot describe the peace of mind I have because of this. This, so gets us over.

It is a mountain of preps, all sealed for long term storage. I just stand there and marvel. Someone's grandfather died and that man happened to be a serious prepper. His grandson got the house and wanted it out. So, he gave it all away. The bill for the food was still with it. And now, it's all at my house!

My friend kept 9 buckets (mostly corn) and one bucket of honey and gave all the rest to us. I am still euphoric over the whole thing.

We have opened a sampling of a few things. (Freeze dried hash browns, ham, powdered cheese). Mostly to see what it is like and how to reconstitute it and prepare it. And, we opened a bucket of wheat (we have the grain mill to make the flour). We wanted to see if the wheat would sprout by using a damp paper towell in a zip lock (it did! very important - means we could plant it)

just....wow!
    homestead2

2. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a terrific gift. And you know what its true value could be.

I think it very wise to open up and try a few things. Personally, we don't like dehydrated foods generally and when I can't rotate something into our daily stock, I quit buying it. But FREE is something impossible to pass up. And heck, there may be some items you might want to trade for something you don't already have.

Great catch.

3. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

WOW!!! congratulations on this great find....
    I am a bit envious of you!
    I love freebies, especially ones that are valuable!

Just last week I picked up 10 hanging light fixtures
    from freecycle.... they will go great in our new house addition...

4. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

WOW! How great! I love freecycle! And what a blessing it has been this week alone. I got a washer and dryer to replace washer that broke months ago and a toddler bed for my cute little DN. His mom was so happy. I also have gooten a bicycle and a great big canner. I've been smiling all week. But your smile can be seen for miles. I look up and say "Thank you Lord" every time I receive something I need that blesses us. PAM

5. Mary in MO

Mary in MO Well-Known Member

Wow, that is fantastic! :dance: :dance: :dance: You certainly did hit the jackpot on that one.
    Mary

6. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I just started the freecycle butte site for the town closest to me but have not had anyone post free stuff yet. I keep looking around the house for stuff i could post thought.