Homesteading Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
The absurdities of the political leaders doesn't bother me all that much. I kind of expect that from them. Both/all Parties. It is the sheer ignorance and obliviousness of regular everyday people. They seem to have the critical thinking skills of a gnat.

·
Marked safe from the TP famine of 2020.
21,212 Posts
Pay off loans for others? No.
Using tax dollars to make college "free" No.
I went to college and received a Masters degree and paid my own way and paid off the one small loan I had to take.

What we need to do is let the market dictate education. Get the government out of it. Let private lenders "underwrite" educational programs to determine if they are worth the risk of loaning money. No more money for "gender studies" More money for STEM.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I do have a grand expecting to go for free, but that is a free ride scholarship earned by burning the midnight oil. And it is in an applied science field, so they will also pick up the professional training that is not part of the tuition, etc. But that grandkid's family had also been saving like crazy for over 14 years to make this happen, no loans, if no scholarships. Grandkid works all the hours possible at a fast food place to help with the other expenses.

I have no trouble with loan forgiveness provided it is "work it off" type, such as teaching in a low pay low income area to pay off student loans.

Otherwise, no. Make a debt pay a debt. But local discount knowledge can be had fairly cheaply along with jobs that pay pretty well for most students. Just have to live with mom and dad while they do it.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Visited a college lately? Some of price hikes cover the cushy life being given. Remember mystery meat at the college cafeteria? Now more like a 5 star restaurant. A lot of the costs have also been about making life more lucrative for college staff than it used to be. (I have a college teaching kid. A few hours of that a week pay more than the hs teaching full time gig.) Nicer fancier facilities, upgrades to dorms, just generally pad the pig sty so to speak so sweetie pie can live high on the hog for a few years.

Another run up: it takes serious $$ to bring so many incoming freshmen up to college level work, and some serious tutoring and help to ease them through school. Gone are the days when English 101 and Math 101 were used to intentionally flunk out those who had no business being in college. Now everyone MUST succeed at all costs.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Despite public school career for one of our family members, none of us cherish the notion of sending kids into that cesspool.

Another institution that needs to be starved of participants. HOMESCHOOL!

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Despite public school career for one of our family members, none of us cherish the notion of sending kids into that cesspool.

Another institution that needs to be starved of participants. HOMESCHOOL!
Homeschooling didn't work for my kids. One child got severely depressed and end result was a lot of therapy and other things since we found out she attempted suicide without even letting us know and the other child is currently undergoing diagnosis and we suspect he may be on the Spectrum amongst other issues. It simply didn't work for us. Public schools here in Kansas are somewhat decent depending on the neighborhood and the ones our kids go to are actually good schools. My son goes to one of the top rated high schools. Just that his diagnosis is coming really late as he is a freshman. Daughter is in middle school.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
With all due respect, homeschooling need not cause serious depression any more than public school. And many on the spectrum do better with homeschooling. I am very happy if you have decent public schools in your part of Kansas. But truly I doubt it. I would expect them to be following current guidelines and doing a whole bunch of social engineering and a whole bunch of the general dumbed down stuff. What I mean is they may teach say 8th grade math with a well known and nationally respected math book, and the kids may be completing that book and learning all it teaches. And still be two full grade levels behind what would have been taught a mere 25 years ago.

I too raised one with special needs due to a constellation of learning disabilities, and one that was the other end gifted. We did some public, some private, and some home schooling. But this was over 30 years ago. Today I would not want my kids taught the soft (and not so soft) communism and immorality pushed on even the pre k kids. Not to mention the dumbing down that is happening.

·
Premium Member
32,566 Posts
@TedH71, I'm sorry to hear your children had/have emotional issues. I hope they are doing better now.

Some children do not learn well in a home school situation. It's just the way some kids are wired. Other children have a very difficult time learning in a classroom setting.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts