Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
40,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Not all student loans are going back into their education.
My wife worked with a lot of young dim bulbs. They had no grasp of debt, or were drunk with the idea they could borrow four or five figures. They maybe went to RipU for a semester or longer. Dropped out. No skills. Hopelessly in debt.

They are now attending a very tough school. Their grades suck

·
Shazbot!
6,311 Posts
My wife and I took responsibility for our two additions to the world and put them through college and gave them each a used vehicle.

Will we be reimbursed for their college expenses in this deal?

I don't expect everyone to do what we did but it is a damn shame that I'm gonna have to pay for my kids education and other peoples kids also.

Gotta love being penalized for being productive.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Horsecrap. I worked 3 jobs, took out a couple of loans and put myself through school. Paid them all off myself.
I understand that college costs a lot, but you have choices as to where to go and it is a choice to go at all.
I am sick and tired of everyone with their hand out wanting everything given to them as a "right".
You want something, get off your ^^$&% and pay for it.

·
I calls em like I sees em
14,110 Posts
People are magicians. Presto chango, abracadabra, they try to make their problem into your problem.

·
Registered
605 Posts
My daughter started making payments while still in school. She started at the u of a then switched to the community College. Took her 5 years to get her associates but that's ok, she's a paralegal for benton co prosecutor office now. We were concerned about her debt but she worked full-time is why it took her so long to finish it and she's plugging away at it. Neither she nor I should pay someone else's student debt!

·
Registered
40,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
About 42.9 million Americans have federal student loans

Total outstanding student loan debt is $1.59 trillion

That is almost $40,000 per borrower
Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology Software

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Parallel

·
Registered
172 Posts
The wife and I both paid for our College educations, both under-Grad and Master's Degrees. We bit the bullet and took out as few loans as possible, but we paid off every dime.

Our kids have friends that used their students loans to purchase $2k Mountain Bikes, Snowboard Gear, etc.

I'm not interested in my taxes paying a dime of their abuse of the system.

Of course we all know, it will never be paid off. Waterhead Joe will just drive us to $40 Trillion in national debt.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
In Europe and most of the world, college/university is actually either free or very low fee paid. I have a friend who has 4 sons. 3 of his sons plan to attend university in Europe due to the low cost. I don't see why we can't do the same here in America.

With that said, I borrowed very little. Around $8k. I ended up living in a high cost town (high cost of living) for over 25 years with no car. Couldn't pay it off at all because virtually all of my income went towards rent and living expenses so it didn't get paid. It soared to $45k before I came into some money and pared it down to something like $5k. Right now, due to having kids and an actual house and other expenses, it's not being paid off or paid down. I moved out of that high cost area to Kansas where the cost of living is quite low. The reason why it went up so high was due to something called compound interest which should be a crime! I'm all for the debts to be paid off as long as the colleges/unis change their income policy and become free or affordable and nobody ever gets a college loan thereafter.

Is it realistic? Yes, and yes, I know it's not free for the tax payers but we definitely need people who have college degrees combined with practical hands on learning experiences. It will give the low income people a chance to attain what they otherwise wouldn't be able to afford to do so.

·
Registered
544 Posts
In Europe and most of the world, college/university is actually either free or very low fee paid. I have a friend who has 4 sons. 3 of his sons plan to attend university in Europe due to the low cost. I don't see why we can't do the same here in America.

We don't have to do it here. Just send all the people who want free education to some other country. I do wonder why many other countries send their children here for an education.

·
Registered
710 Posts

With that said, I borrowed very little. Around $8k. I ended up living in a high cost town (high cost of living) for over 25 years with no car. Couldn't pay it off at all because virtually all of my income went towards rent and living expenses so it didn't get paid. It soared to $45k before I came into some money and pared it down to something like $5k. Right now, due to having kids and an actual house and other expenses, it's not being paid off or paid down. I moved out of that high cost area to Kansas where the cost of living is quite low. The reason why it went up so high was due to something called compound interest which should be a crime! I'm all for the debts to be paid off as long as the colleges/unis change their income policy and become free or affordable and nobody ever gets a college loan thereafter.

Is it realistic? Yes, and yes, I know it's not free for the tax payers but we definitely need people who have college degrees combined with practical hands on learning experiences. It will give the low income people a chance to attain what they otherwise wouldn't be able to afford to do so.
It is a fact that nobody appreciates anything they didn't work for. This goes especially for education. Also, in Europe, students take standardized tests in the 6th grade and if they score below a certain level they go to trade school, If above they continue to college prep curriculum. However, in the 9th grade, they take another test. If they score below a certain lever they go to College, if they score above that level they may go into the University curriculum. College is for business, accounting and social pseudoscience etc. University is basically STEM.
Not altogether a bad idea, but snowflakes would whine like pigs in Deliverance.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

True but at least in Thailand. The public colleges are cheaper and better than the private but they are much tougher to get into. The public ones only take the best of the best. Otherwise it is private college and it is much more expensive.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I worked 3 jobs and put my own fatass through college, while raising a family. And I paid to put my kids through college. All without a penny of help from the commie bastids. Anyone who takes out a student loan is a complete ignoramus. Like the thing says, the majority of clowns that take out student loans never graduate and are basically screwed for the rest of their lives. Pure stoopidity.

·
Registered
14,383 Posts
Student loan forgiveness was a campaign platform touted frequently before the election. The idea of wiping out college debt was a party wide talking point.
2 years later, that party controls the House, the Senate and the White house, and yet, the Man is still maybe "considering" some relief.
Food Ingredient Recipe Font Cuisine

21 - 40 of 50 Posts