Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
40,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
  • 23 percent of respondents who didn't go to college said the federal government should eliminate all student loan debt for every borrower.
  • 34 percent said that "some" debt should be eliminated for every borrower
  • 34 percent said that any student loan debt shouldn't be eliminated at all

The survey also revealed of those who went to college,
  • 24 percent said the federal government should eliminate all student loan debt for everyone,
  • 39 percent said that some debt should be forgiven for every borrower, and
  • 32 percent said that none of the debt should be canceled.

·
Registered
8,635 Posts
I do, but only if every institution for which a former student claims debt forgiveness is immediately shut down and sold off, bankruptcy auction style, to pay off the debt we incur, the US Department of Education is dissolved, and a federal law is passed barring the formation of teachers’ unions. It’s time for a great education reset in this country.

·
Registered
40,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No one from that 57% appears to be on HT

I was more interested in whether we should call the poll a lie

I want to report it to the new Ministry of Truth

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
no I don't think bankrupting the country is a good idea. that is what you will do

now I offer an alternative plan two actually.

allow employers to pay student loans say up to 40K a year as part of your compensation package , the corporation pays it as part of their operating expenses thus not taxed , also allow those with student loans to pay 20% of their earnings pre tax at student loans.

because you see if you tell me it is about making education accessible & affordable and I offer these two options and you reject them , then it isn't about making education accessible or affordable it is about buying votes with the public coffers at the expense of the tax payer. thus exploiting the treasury for favor.

·
Registered
14,393 Posts
Why would 57% of those who never went to college prefer those who did have their debt erased? What did I miss?
Would this pardon be only for currently enrolled students?
How far back would they go?
Our daughter and son-in-law have student debt and they never had any expectation of the government paying it off. My sons are accumulating debt.
I will pay for it before the government does.
Just a reminder, the amount, even at 10K per student will affect the economy as a whole, and inflation.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
2,407 Posts
I don't think it should be forgiven for the borrowers, coming from someone whose spouse had about 100K in debt. He graduated but changed his mind on the field he chose. Waste of money? You bet. I used the nest egg I had saved for a house down payment to pay over half of it. We also sold our yak herd and put all that money into the black hole. My husband also worked to put money into it.

The biggest retribution against those stupid loans was paying them off so fast they didn't get much interest from us.

The whole 'go to college, parents sign stuff, can't switch loan types, etc. is ridiculous.' We couldn't even claim the interest we paid on his Parent Plus loan because it was forever under his parents' name and could not be switched.

We couldn't borrow from a bank because we had no collateral to that extent.

I grit my teeth thinking about it. I can't imagine young adults making huge financial decisions that inhibit their buying a house and having a life. Not even death erases them- believe me, I think my spouse was so frustrated he probably fleetingly considered suicide.

That said, we paid a lot for very little. I wish schools pushed how much loans are in relation to income and budgets, and how they're on the hook for a long, long time. My husband's aunt is in her 50's and still repaying them. It's crazy.

Working in the public sector erases school debt after 10 years, so there's always that route. I like GreenCountyPete's idea about having employers in on repayment as a benefit. I don't support bail outs. No one will reimburse me for my savings account after using them for school debts, that was my choice.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I used a student loan to go to college. So did my sister. Mu sister worked for the college and put her paycheck toward her student loan. Her money disappeared and she had to pay it back again. I got a three year delay on my loan because I joined the military. Got another five year delay when I went to work for the government. My first year working in the private sector my tax returns were taken immediately to pay for my loans. I only had to pay once.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I worked while in college and with some assistance from my parents I didn't have to borrow money.
My wife worked and borrowed to get through school. It took years to get those loans paid off.
We told our 4 kids that if they worked while in school we would make sure that they wouldn't have to borrow money for a bachelors degree.
One chose to join the Marines in 2004 after one year of college.
One chose to get married after one year of college and get a PHT (put hubbie through).
One earned a full books and tuition scholarship and worked and we helped with room and board. He borrowed for medical school but paid it off a few years after becoming an Emergency Room Physician.
Our youngest got into an Ivy League school on the east coast, she worked and we cash flowed 5 years (Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Engineering) with money from the Bullfrog farm.

So, no, I don't think we should be forced to pay for other people's college education.

·
Registered
40,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I worked while in college and with some assistance from my parents I didn't have to borrow money.
My wife worked and borrowed to get through school. It took years to get those loans paid off.
We told our 4 kids that if they worked while in school we would make sure that they wouldn't have to borrow money for a bachelors degree.
One chose to join the Marines in 2004 after one year of college.
One chose to get married after one year of college and get a PHT (put hubbie through).
One earned a full books and tuition scholarship and worked and we helped with room and board. He borrowed for medical school but paid it off a few years after becoming an Emergency Room Physician.
Our youngest got into an Ivy League school on the east coast, she worked and we cash flowed 5 years (Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Engineering) with money from the Bullfrog farm.

So, no, I don't think we should be forced to pay for other people's college education.
You are a great American and a great parent who raised exemplary tadpoles

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
They just have to stop all the freebies , I payed my student loans .
It was killing me but I did it .
I think I owed 35k 🤩
I don’t know how any one is paying off 250/300 k , it’s like buying a home the first day out of School

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nobody paid mine nor my wifes off but us. I think I have an issue with it for one reason. While my wife and I took out just enough loans to cover what we couldnt pay out of pocket there are those that borrow the max even when they dont need it just because they can. Ive seen many a vacation to Florida etc paid for with student loans. If they want to forgive any of it they should check with the college. Whatever monies from student loans actually went to the college can be exempt. But that one loan you took out to buy an ATV etc? Well thats your problem.

If they really want to make a difference they should halt all payroll tax for one year.

·
Premium Member
32,563 Posts
I got a petition in my email asking people to sign to get all student loans forgiven. Screw that! I'm with others here, you borrowed it, you pay for it. The only exception I can see would be for those who got loans for those useless tech schools that closed their doors before the students completed their courses. I know one person affected by a nursing school that was shut down. Everybody else can pay what they borrowed. If it takes them the rest of their life, tough noogies. They spent that loan money.

·
Registered
12,408 Posts
from 1979 to 2021 Consumer prices rose 301.63%.
College Education Cumulative Inflation rose 1323.52%

The question that needs to be asked and answered before the debate of paying off student loans is what happened to drive the costs so high that student loans are needed...?

Another question that needs answering before debating paying off student loans is what happens after they're paid off? As always in answering, exploring all consequences of such actions. That's a debate in itself.

One answer is the availability of loans themselves helped college costs rise. Another easy answer is the government freed up loan monies to garner votes. Lots of answers on the internet about this, but none talked about.

·
Registered
40,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The question that needs to be asked and answered before the debate of paying off student loans is what happened to drive the costs so high that student loans are needed...?
I think you answered your own question. Easy loans drove up demand and drove up prices. It was just another vote buying scheme. Too add insult to injury, they turned it into another vote buying scheme. A two-fer

1 - 20 of 50 Posts