Scat identification

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Randy Rooster, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

Are there any experts out there for id of animal scats?. I found some that look strange to me on my property. Arent deer feces pretty much little pellets?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Could you discribe your strange scat in detail?
    It can depend on how dry and fiborous the deers diet was as to the pellets or piles.

3. Randy Rooster

I know this is a weird thread, but I want to know what animal it is. i will try to get some photos this pm and post them - is there a link to how to post a photo here?

4. Arborethic

Arborethic Well-Known Member

What?! You want us to do your homework for you? And you won't even give us a HINT of what you are looking at? WOW! Now THAT is lazy! LOL...

Start out here: http://www.bear-tracker.com/

BTW, yes, deer feces are similar to rabbit, goat, and sheep feces. Owl feces will have fur and bones. Coyote may have lots of hair, but be shaped like dog feces. Buzzard, heron, and crane will be big white splotches on your windshield or yard. Squirrels will pee on your head. It would take me many hours to finish the list.... LOL...

5. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

and bear crap is usually a huge pile 8 to 10 inches in diameter with lots of blackberries in it.

6. Arborethic

Well...sometimes...unless you are following me around in the woods. LOL... I DO love blackberries!

7. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

There's a little paperback called Foot Tracks & Scat, or something like that. Great to carry with you.

When there's no internet, I'll still have my books. ;)

Now, if I could only find it.....

Coyote scat has a lot of berries in it, at least around here. :)

8. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I went to an orchard recently, and at the bottom was 3 TONS of little dog poop. When I said something to the owner, she said it must be coyotes, no dogs allowed. No hair in it. Looked exactly like poop from a mid-sized dog. I have since seen coyote poop, this was a little smaller. So poop is not always the same.

9. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Most bear poop I have seen this time of year was very dark and not really in a pile, but a couple of 8" turds or so. Mostly, they are full of oats around here. Just depends where they feed and time of year. In spring, much different, and also different during blueberry season.

It would be nice to see tracks associated to the area nearby where you see the scat.

10. Arborethic

Not long ago, faced with an unidentified feline about the size of a bobcat, but bearing a very long tail, our Game Warden suggested painting a piece of flat sheet metal with a lime solution and let it dry. Weight the metal with a good sized rock in the middle, then put a drop of fish oil or one of the commercially available scents (doe/bobcat/etc) on the rock. Presumeably, the animal will come to investigate the strange scent, and leave a perfect set of tracks in the thin layer of lime, which can be lifted with clear tape to preserve it. I've not tried it...guess I'm too lazy. I just keep checking the damp edges of my ponds looking for tracks.

11. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Deer poop is usually in pellets, but a large deer that has been on a rich diet will drop a large turd that is really a lot of pellets, but soft enough to stay together.

12. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

could be fox or maybe raccoon

13. Randy Rooster

I got a picture of one of the scats today. Still trying to figure out how to post it. This pile was ( im guessing) at least a week old. We had rain a couple nights ago and its been rained on and started to disintigrate. Probably 6 x 12 inches oblong shapped. Hard to tell if it is one piece or several or pellets or whatever. The other one I saw as i remember looked like a long coiled loop. I got down and inspected and it appeared to be the left over skelaton bodies of grass hoppers. We had a lot of grasshoppers this year. No tracks are nearby as it is a grassy and heavily shrubbed area. What would live on grasshoppers?

14. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

My favorite scat story was when a dear friend (now deceased) was leading a hike. There was a new lady in the group that just couldn't leave him alone. When we came upon some scat, she asked "Can you tell what animal did that?" while batting her eyelashes and holding his arm.

He answered, "Probably me...I came out earlier to case the trail".

She slunk to the end of the line and did not bother him again!

15. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member