Scary Snake Time

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bearkiller, Jun 16, 2004.

1. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Gosh, sounds like all you silly so-called homesteaders are a bunch of chicken livered scare willies. All this about critters that do you a LOT of good in spite of taking an easy meal when they find one right there on your very own homestead. Look into their habits and diet and you'll come away with a better view of just how much good they do to keep down the more noxious pestiferous vermin...and that includes sitty slickers!!!!

Well, now that I've got that off my chest, consider this. Years ago when my (ex) wife and I were working fenceline, I had just clipped some fencing to a Tee post when I happened to notice a gopher snake about 4 feet long sneaking up behind my bride. He was just about to tug on her shirt tail when I spoke to her. "Louisa, stand up and come over here!" Her response was that of the usual and typical female not to be bossed around...she wanted to know, and right now, WHY???

When I mentioned who was behind her I thought there could be no problem with exit velocity from mean old Mr. Gravity. A few minutes of conversation and her getting the black quivers for a spell, then back to work. A few minutes later, I turned around and happened to notice Louisa looking back over her shoulder as she revved up in a dead run to try for mach 1. Right! Mean Old Mr. Gopher Snake was back!

Took more calming down, this time, but after a bit I got her back to fencing and the tasks at hand. And NO, I am not making this up. Mean Old Mr. Gopher Snake came sneaking up behind her yet again and was about to tug on her shirt one more time. Well, by this point I had had enough of the scary scary he'll eat me nonsense, so I simply walked past my bride, scooped up Mean Old Mr. Gopher Snake and stated I'm going to take care of this for good. We went for a long walk in the woods where I sent him on his way at long last.

But, guess what, that now toxic right hand could not get near my bride for three days. It all remained very funny (for me) in spite of all the theatrics...well maybe in part because of them.

And yes I have many more good snake stories

bearkiller

2. Jagger

Jagger Well-Known Member

I like snakes. Taste like chicken/fish. Good fried, roasted, or stewed. Snakes are very handy to have around. Try some i'm sure you'll like it.

Jagger

3. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Now, BK, is that why she's your ex?! :D

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

When I was about 4, way down in Alabama, my dad took us out to gather nuts. I pushed aside some leaves and picked up a small rattlesnake. My daddy really came unglued!

No, it didn't bite me.

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................I don't really have any dislike for snakes. But, in June-'03 a small copperhead bite my 10 year old Akita at 11 pm on a friday night. Do you think I could get the Vet that I have been going to for the last 20 years on the Phone ....Hell NO. So I had to load all 130 pounds of him into my truck and drive 40 miles east to Ft. Worth and pay 350 dollars to an emergency vet clinic. I'm glad they were open but a rather expensive trip. Had I seen that snake during the Day, I would have dispatched him immediately. I will always choose my pet and best friend over some Snake. Otherwise I have no problem with their existence...........fordy.... :eek: :)

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

7. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

When we're working outside and someone says, "move", believe me I move. However, if the DH says honey come look at this...well, it's usually some poor bubba snortin' beer out his nose on TV, or something equally stoopid. If he's on the sunporch looking at the pasture I look too, if he's watching TV I'll pass.

The reason we ask why is justified. We have many, many things to do and only so many "whys" can be answered per day.

"A man works from sun to sun but a woman's work is never done."

Stacy in NY

8. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I swear my husband is trying to desensitise me. When he hits them with the mower (frequently), he insist upon picking them up and draping them over a place I'm sure to find them...in the pole beans, over the gate, over the water hydrant etc.. He turned the compost the other day, and stirred up a nest of them. Now that I've spotted that writhing mass of snakes, I can't help but hurl the compost from 15 feet away, and high tail it out of there! I'm not sure I'll ever become a snake lover!

9. Homesteader

Homesteader Well-Known Member

Bearkiller - who you callin' a homesteader?

10. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Well, you all are good for some good giggles anyway!

bearkiller