Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to the pumpkin patch a few weeks ago.... the cute kind with the petting zoo.... lots of nubian goats, sheep, a couple llamas, a pig, and a cow (Tucker).

Tucker has a nice set of horns on him, rounded so they aren't sharp.... he has free run of the petting zoo (in the fence of coursE) He's a "STAR" according to the sign!!

So, we buy some feed and stand there petting the goats and sheep... tucker comes up and wants us to scratch his head..... I stand up and begin petting him... my DD5 is standing to my immediate right beside one of those cut out shapes that the kids stick their heads into..... she is literally 3 inches from my leg.

She sticks her head in the hole so grandma can take her picture when suddenly the cow who is directly in front of me, drops his head and RAMS her HARD in the back, turns and puts his horns and head in her SIDE and pins her body and face against the plywood cutout.... I smacked him as hard as I could to get him to stop pushing her...... he finally backed up and walked away. All I could think about was the horns and her face!!!

She is fine, got a black eye, bruised cheek and a fat lip but nothing else..... I WAS FURIOUS and contacted the owner personally about the danger that Tucker created..... She meekly said that "Tucker was just a sucker for attention!"

She assured me they would take the cut out down and apologized for my daughter's injuries but when I mentioned removing Tucker from the petting zoo she was adamant that it was a fluke accident and he was part of the "team"!!!!

Tell that to my DD who is still having dreams about the mean cow! She tells everyone that a mean cow pushed her and gave her a blacky eye! (most look at me like she's nuts)

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
That's a lawsuit waiting to happen! I'm so sorry for your daughter! We just butchered a Highlander who was halter broke as a calf. She never did have any fear of people. She almost gutted the butcher who made the mistake of thinking she was safe. A little fear in an animal that size is NOT a bad thing. Too tame can be incredibly dangerous.

·
Registered
878 Posts
That is really scary and I'm glad she is ok. Or, as ok as you can be after being squished by a cow. Sounds like someone needs to tell Tucker he's either part of the team or he will be hamburger for the team....

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
some bulls even when castrated are not safe after 2 years of age.

hope your daughter heals quickly...i am so sorry!

i am shocked some fool thinks a cow with children is a good idea. i had cows that were tame, but i forbid my children from playing in the field near them just the same. they are too big and powerful to take chances. plus, if it had a mind too..there would be no way to stop it.

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Sorry to hear that. How scary! Poor little one :( Give her a hug from your HT family.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes do go after the petting zoo. There should not be a cow in there anyways. I was attacked by a holstien cow when I was milking cows. She pinned me against a gate and really brusied me up. The owner didn;t even hesitate and that cow was gone that night.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
It sounds like Tucker will be part of the team right up until seriously injures or kills some poor child!

Look, I'm no fan of personal injury attorneys, but IMO, ya gotta do something here! I'd get a lawyer to write a nice letter seekng several thousand dollars in the damages -- after all, your daughter is having nightmares over the incident, and will need some sessions with a very expensive therapist to resolve her newfound fear of cows. Also, reiterate that you are concerned about the steer's continued presence in the petting zoo. Use words like "negligence."

If you have to take this one to court, I would -- you might be saving someone else's child!

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
What they all said. I wouldn't just let this one go, him being "part of the team" is worth risking someone's kid? Yeah, no. Animals < children, basic concept Ms. Petting Zoo Owner seems to have lost sight of. :mad:

I'm not sure how reliable his horns being rounded would be either... he's a big strong steer, suppose if he really wanted to gore someone he has the strength to do it.

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
Willowgirl said it. Something drastic needs to be done before something drastic happens. Poor DD! And I'm sure you're still having nightmares too! Thank God it wasn't worse!

·
I'm skinny
166 Posts
A bull, cow or steer that's been raised as a pet is NOT safe to be around children, especially young ones, or even unknowing adults. Any bovine that was hand raised and petted at a young age are being the over grown, cute cuddly animal they were taught to be and not corrected for head butting or head pushing, wanting to be scratched or petted.

It doesn't matter what Ms. Petting Zoo says, that steer shouldn't be part of the team unless he's fenced where he has no contact with the public, but can be seen. It isn't the cut out that needs to be removed, it's Tucker that need to be removed, to a place where he can't try to "cuddle" with the public.

Longshadowfarms has it right. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Not only that, it's a BIG accident waiting to happen. The equation is: an 800 to 1000 pound, or more, over friendly steer vs a small child, unaware adult or even an aware adult. And the winner is?????

I once knew a guy that had a young colt and played with it like you would a dog. He let that colt bring it's front legs up and let him put them on his shoulders. I moved from that area. I never found out what kind of a wreck that turned into.

Big animals that are taught to be playful and cuddly turn into playful, cuddly, dangerous animals. You would be doing the public a favor to try to get Tucker removed from human contact.

I feel so bad for your daughter. She'll probably have the screaming hebee jeebies of cows for the rest of her life unless you're able to teach her that cows aren't pets and it was an over friendly steer.

I hope she heals soon and is able to leave this bad memory behind her. Poor girl. My heart goes out to her, and you, for the pain and trauma she's going through and the trauma you're experiencing because of this happening.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
My mini-donkeys have given me a bruise or 2 when they get to pushing for petting or treats. A cow is MUCH bigger. It shouldn't be in a petting zoo.

·
Premium Member
27,965 Posts
Did you take dd to the doctor and make sure she was ok, no cracked ribs or anything? Give them the bill and tell them you expect THEM to pay it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Did you take dd to the doctor and make sure she was ok, no cracked ribs or anything? Give them the bill and tell them you expect THEM to pay it.
At least do this much, along w/ a lawyer letter. It is lucky that your little one is relatively alright, but there is no telling how severe the next run-in will be. It would be awful to let it go and have another child get hurt, or worse, because 'Tucker is [still] part of the team'. I am surprised the petting zoo owner was as cavalier with her reply to you as she was. I agree that she has lost sight of the priority in her situation....and that should be ensuring that the kids stay safe!

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
It sounds like Tucker will be part of the team right up until seriously injures or kills some poor child!

Look, I'm no fan of personal injury attorneys, but IMO, ya gotta do something here! I'd get a lawyer to write a nice letter seekng several thousand dollars in the damages -- after all, your daughter is having nightmares over the incident, and will need some sessions with a very expensive therapist to resolve her newfound fear of cows. Also, reiterate that you are concerned about the steer's continued presence in the petting zoo. Use words like "negligence."

If you have to take this one to court, I would -- you might be saving someone else's child!

Im in total agreance here. Im fully against lawsuits. But this is a BIG no no. If it was my steer he would be in the freezer not a second thought someones kid is going to get killed.

·
Registered
389 Posts
A full grown cow or steer have no place in a petting zoo. A petting zoo should have only small animals in it.
When we were milking cows it was the ones we had bottle raised that we had to keep the closest eye on. They were the ones that were likely to come up and head butt you trying to get you to pet them.
An animal that weighs several hundred pounds and has horns does not belong in a petting zoo. I would seriously consider legal action. If you don't want to sue could you call the sheriff and inform him of a serious risk to public safety. This petting zoo needs to be shut down.

·
plains of Colorado
4,176 Posts
Neighbor was killed by his bull and attempted to do so to my husband...we were lucky, my husband was in good shape only a broken leg. My son, now 21, still says no bulls allowed. He was 11 when it happened.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts