Scarlet Runner Beans

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by birdie_poo, Apr 18, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Will a chain link support the weight of scarlet runner vines, or should more support be added to the fence.

I'm trying to block out the view of that nasty neighbor below us. She's still fence stalking us when we ae out there. I'm just waiting to get a visit from the sheriff for carrying a gun in my yard. I have a .45 pellet gun I use to pick off gophers, and it looks real. Too obvious if I peg her in the butt with it, though.

2. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Ummmm, more than likely, Wendy, lolol. You can, however, chew up a pbj and stick your tongue out at her any time without fear of legal repurcussion.

I grew them one time and didn't use any extra support for them? I have fishing line strung in an up and down triangle hung from hooks in the side of my house. They are really pretty! You will like them! So do the hummingbirds.

hollym

3. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I've grown them up birdfeeder poles, chicken wire, tomato cages (well...they did that on their own) They're good clingers and not too heavy.

4. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Is it a shared fence? That might make for an excuse for her to get nastier if she's inclined in that direction.

My efforts at Scarlett Runners have always been so sad that just about anything would support them :rolleyes:

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

we have been growing them up a chain link fence for years !! morning glories climb to and "sweeten "the view ! tasty when small and birds like them when older (and younger but then you will not have them!!) even some air guns are powerfull enough to penetrate skin!! find a water gun that looks the same !!most cops would take pity on you with such a miserable soso next door! just drop the gun and hold your hands high , they don't take chances when weapons are involed.

6. thefarm

thefarm Well-Known Member

They will grown up anything I have tryed them on several different things. And sold alot in my greenhouse. I agree Morning Glory vine is great so pretty and smell great it last along time. Brenda

7. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Hyacinth Beans are another pretty. I can visualize the fence covered thick with all three. Hopefully, she won't put salt on them or somesuch.

Poor old girl; it must be awful to have lost a few screws!! I know I sure notice a slow down here :haha:

8. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

We were unable to get scarlet runner seeds this year. Do you know of a source?
    Thanks,
    Chas

9. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I have quite a bit that I wont be planting...do yu want to trade for any? I got about a pound of them. I have no idea if they are organic or not, though. I bought them from the farmer's market from a woman selling bean soup mixes and dip mixes.